Off to try a new adventure this weekend

Rob Keeble

For 8 years now i have wanted to go camping in the winter. Ok now its become early spring. :(

So two families are off to go try out camping in Yurts this weekend in one of Ontarios provincial parks.

Should be pretty interesting. :)

This will be another one to add to the list.

Here is a link to see what a YURT is for those that dont know.

Of course here they are less rustic but i hope we can see the lattice and its not too civilized.

http://www.parkreports.com/parksblog/?p=72

See ya all Monday.;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: It's going to Yurts.

Reminds of when my daughter went winter camping. She loves that stuff: hiking, camping any time of the year. So she was telling me how great it was. How much FUN. How EXCITING. How FUNNY is was when she woke up and wanted to put her socks and boots on and the socks were FROZEN STIFF in the shape of her foot. :rofl: :rofl: Sure sounds like fun to me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lurk: :whistling:

Rob, I DO have a sense of adventure; just not that kind. :rofl: :rofl: Adventure for me is using my new GRR-ripper. Or setting up a saltwater aquarium. Or breeding a new variety of iris. Or seeing what's new in the FWW moderator "lounge". *That's* what I call adventure. But have fun with it. Lose your mind in the forest. :rofl: :rofl:

Rob my wife has been sleeping in her yurt all winter. I don't think she has missed a night since last September. She has wanted one ever since spending time in one in Mongolia several years ago. We put this one up in August 2010. It is a genuine yurt from Mongolia. Being on the west coast in a rain forest you have to make some alterations for the climate here, specifically a layer of Tyvec between the canvas and the felt coverings It is really quite warm inside. She heats it with a small oil filled radiant heater on the low setting and about 6 tea light candles. We have had several bouts of snow, severe wind storms and below freezing temperatures this winter and she says that it was quite cosy inside.She bought a bunch of furniture to go with it and has made enough rugs to cover the floor (16' in diameter). I think I'll rent out the house.
Hope you have fun.

Attachments

• 100_8219.jpg
    100_8219.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_8220.jpg
    100_8220.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_8223.jpg
    100_8223.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_8225.jpg
    100_8225.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_8231.jpg
    100_8231.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_8232.jpg
    100_8232.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_8235.jpg
    100_8235.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_8236.jpg
    100_8236.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 33
Rob, Have fun. :wave:

Brian, that's too cool. :thumb: Quite a find. I'm guessing one doesn't just run down to Yurts-R-Us to go pick one of those up. :D

Hmm, around here the forecast is +9 during the day, and -1 at night. That's wet mud weather, not winter! ;)
Are you going up to Algonquin? It'll be colder there, I suppose.
Still, hope you packed extra boots.

Yurt? In winter in Canada?
Yes, it would require a real sense of adventure and a sense of humor.
I have camped in cold using only pre-1840 clothes and equipment. Not easy and, for me, not fun.