Help me understand Finishing

Kris Petrosky

I am new to everything in the field of woodworking, I figured one of the tasks that would be good to start with was understanding finishes and removing finishes using an old desk my dad has that looks awful if left alone. :rofl: Now what would be a good option for someone who doesn't have alot of ventilation in the basement and its to cold to take outside. I could just wait probably a few more weeks for some heat though. :dunno: And if anyone has any links to resources that help me to understand wood, paint, stain etc. That'd be great. Wanted to add stuff to the desk but I don't know if I can afford the same type of wood, so I figured different woods make finishes/stains/paints look differently.

Thank you for your help. :thumb:

Kris if you are interested, let us get to know you a bit and I will see about having you out to spend some time in the shop. You will learn more from hands on intensive instructions then in a class room.

well kris if yu got the time and make the grade in getting to know dave and the rest of us,, you wont be sorry to learn from dave,, i have seen him at work and he can in rea life turn a pigs ear into a silk purse:) he is in my opinion one of our best finishers on the forum.