shelf supports

The other day I posted a question about this armoir which has some damage in the front from moving.

armoir1.jpg

Now I have another question about it. I was putting stuff away inside and adjusting the shelves and I noticed that it was a shelf support system that I wasn't familiar with, but I find it quite clever.

There are narrow vertical strips with teeth on them like cogs on a wheel fixed to the sides in the front and back of the inside of the armoir on each side, right and left, and there are moveable horizontal wood pieces that lock into the teeth on the strips to support the shelves.

My question is, if you were cutting those vertical pieces with the teeth, how would you go about it? They are only about 2 inches wide at their widest, and 6 feet long.

The photos were taken with me sticking my head inside and turning to the right and to the left.

armoirsupports1.jpg

armoirsupport2.jpg

Now a days +2 on the bandsaw or a scroll saw.
Neanderthal back saw
114579d1251198191-disston-antique-back-saw-img_8913.jpg

...and you'd stack all four together - maybe with double-faced tape - so you could cut them exactly alike.

After stacking, I'd make the horizontal cuts on the tablesaw (assures perpendicularity) and then make the diagonal cuts on the bandsaw.

Or you can do the whole thing on the bandsaw (or use Chuck's backsaw).

I've used this system for making adjustable shelves myself. I don't like sharp points on the support bars -- so I rounded everything over.

I started with a board wide enough to rip out all four supports -- that way I was sure it would all be even.

At the vertex of each position, I drilled a 1/4" hole using the drill press. The bottom (90 degree) cuts were all done on the table saw. The angled cuts were done on the bandsaw. I then ripped the four supports out of the wider board.

If that is a clear as mud, let me know & I'll sketch it out and post an image.

-Matt

I've used this system for making adjustable shelves myself. I don't like sharp points on the support bars -- so I rounded everything over.

I started with a board wide enough to rip out all four supports -- that way I was sure it would all be even.

At the vertex of each position, I drilled a 1/4" hole using the drill press. The bottom (90 degree) cuts were all done on the table saw. The angled cuts were done on the bandsaw. I then ripped the four supports out of the wider board.

If that is a clear as mud, let me know & I'll sketch it out and post an image.

-Matt

I think I understand, but yes, could you post an image?

Here is a quick picture of how I make the supports.

I figured I'd give google sketchup a shot for making this. Looks like it has potential, but I've got to climb the learning curve :bang::bang::bang:

Attachments

• Fww.jpg
    Fww.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 22