Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need an internal DVD burner....

I need an internal DVD burner....

....any ideas? The last two I've purchased were Pioneer units and I have been very happy with them. I saw a post on one of the computer forums that said the newer Pioneer units were re-badged Lite-On units. Don't know a thing about them. Mixed reviews. Looking for something in the 25-40 dollar range. TIA! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Hi Jim
    Why don't you have a look at the LG drives. Ive got three of the 22x Supermulti drives and haven't had any problems with them. I've burnt hundreds of disks maybe thousands and they all still work fine. They are in your price range and are light scribe capable as well.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...f1f1133ce1en02

I have used two of these for a couple of years and have worked at 100% for everything.

Newegg - Samsung DVD Burner w/LightScribe $21.99

I am assuming you are looking for SATA drives.
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 03-20-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I've got a couple of Lite-On DVD burners in my main system, and I've been happy with them for about 3 years.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thanks guys. Vaughn, what model?
    Dan, did the OEM come with any software, like Nero? I do have a copy I can use, just wondered if the OEMs had it or not.

By the way, this is my first post from the new computer!! So far, much faster. (Like that wasn't going to be the only option) Still working out the bugs, and I need to put my old drive in the external case to move all my "stuff" over. I think this is going to be a great upgrade! Jim.

edit: Sorry Brian, I missed your post. I think my wheel on my mouse goes to many lines at one click. Thanks for the info. Will they ship to the states??
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-20-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added appology to Brian.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Jim, I've got one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106228

and one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106073

Turns out I needn't have bought the Light Scribe model, since I've not bothered using that feature. They are old models...you can probably get something comparable for less money these days. I think they came with an OEM copy of Nero, but I'm not positive. (The version I'm running might be from another DVD burner purchase.)

workingwoods.com

I don't remember. I had software I wanted to use with it. I do remember downloading an update for the LightScribe plug-ins.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Well, I shut the computer down to get into the old one to retrieve some information to get the Thunderbird email working (I'm using the old monitor, keyboad and mouse for the time being)...showed 65 updates it had to load. Took over an hour to shut down. Ok, it had a count down as to how many it had done, and how many left. Was able to see when I was getting close. Now that was ready to turn it back on, it's sitting on a start up screen saying that it is "Preparing to configure Windows Do not turn the computer off" and it has a wheel that is spinning showing it is "supposedly" doing something. It's been that way for over an hour. I'm trying to be patient, but I wanted to start loading some of my "stuff" off the old hard drive. I've got it in an external case ready to read from. Hopefully before I go to bed. Jim.

edit: How long do I give this?
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-20-2011 at 11:23 PM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

On the two Windows 7 installs I've done, after a couple hours hung on that screen I did a hard restart. (Might have done two restarts on one of the machines...I don't remember for sure.) It's not a real confidence-builder when an OS install hangs, but at least in my case, after I got past that everything else has worked nicely.

BTW, thanks for the tip the other day on the 2GB external drive. It's working great.

workingwoods.com

Cool, glad it worked out. Several places sell it for a lot more.
    I did a restart on mine twice. then unplugged the power supply, came back up saying that the updates hadn't gone through, and was reverting back to the original. 30 more minutes and still on that screen. I'm reinstalling it right now. I'll let it download the updates, hopefully. i didn't see it do them before. Then I'll leave it on all night and all day tomorrow if it needs to, to see if they will load. \
    Thanks for your help! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!