I need an internal DVD burner....

Jim O'Dell

....any ideas? The last two I've purchased were Pioneer units and I have been very happy with them. I saw a post on one of the computer forums that said the newer Pioneer units were re-badged Lite-On units. Don't know a thing about them. Mixed reviews. Looking for something in the 25-40 dollar range. TIA! Jim.

Thanks guys. Vaughn, what model?
Dan, did the OEM come with any software, like Nero? I do have a copy I can use, just wondered if the OEMs had it or not.

By the way, this is my first post from the new computer!! So far, much faster. :thumb::thumb: (Like that wasn't going to be the only option:rofl::rofl:) Still working out the bugs, and I need to put my old drive in the external case to move all my "stuff" over. I think this is going to be a great upgrade! Jim.

edit: Sorry Brian, I missed your post. I think my wheel on my mouse goes to many lines at one click. Thanks for the info. Will they ship to the states??

Last edited:
Jim, I've got one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106228

and one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106073

Turns out I needn't have bought the Light Scribe model, since I've not bothered using that feature. They are old models...you can probably get something comparable for less money these days. I think they came with an OEM copy of Nero, but I'm not positive. (The version I'm running might be from another DVD burner purchase.)

Well, I shut the computer down to get into the old one to retrieve some information to get the Thunderbird email working (I'm using the old monitor, keyboad and mouse for the time being)...showed 65 updates it had to load. Took over an hour to shut down. Ok, it had a count down as to how many it had done, and how many left. Was able to see when I was getting close. Now that was ready to turn it back on, it's sitting on a start up screen saying that it is "Preparing to configure Windows Do not turn the computer off" and it has a wheel that is spinning showing it is "supposedly" doing something. It's been that way for over an hour. I'm trying to be patient, but I wanted to start loading some of my "stuff" off the old hard drive. I've got it in an external case ready to read from. Hopefully before I go to bed.:eek: Jim.

edit: How long do I give this?

Last edited:
On the two Windows 7 installs I've done, after a couple hours hung on that screen I did a hard restart. (Might have done two restarts on one of the machines...I don't remember for sure.) It's not a real confidence-builder when an OS install hangs, but at least in my case, after I got past that everything else has worked nicely.

BTW, thanks for the tip the other day on the 2GB external drive. It's working great. :thumb:

Cool, glad it worked out. Several places sell it for a lot more.
I did a restart on mine twice. then unplugged the power supply, came back up saying that the updates hadn't gone through, and was reverting back to the original. 30 more minutes and still on that screen. I'm reinstalling it right now. :type: I'll let it download the updates, hopefully. i didn't see it do them before. Then I'll leave it on all night and all day tomorrow if it needs to, to see if they will load. \
Thanks for your help! Jim.

Ended up reloading the OS. Last night, all seemed good. I even was able to migrate all my old mail and bookmarks from the old HD (mounted in an external case hooked up via USB) to the new computer. Wasn't bad at all with Firefox and Thunderbird, or the other Mozilla siblings. It even downloaded 2 more updates and processed them. Now to start loading all the other programs an migrating my documents for them. I think I'm over the problems!!:thumb: Jim.