Hope this isn't crossing the line..

Bruce Page

If it is please delete

I found this very amusing.

"On April 29, 2006 at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner, Bush
invited a Bush impersonator named Steve Bridges to share the dais with him.
The premise was that the impersonator was Bush's conscience, interpreting
Bush's words with what he really meant. A 20-second sound and video bite
hit the newscasts, but this is the whole enchilada."

[Sorry all, but even though this post was intended to be light-hearted and non-political, it's become apparent that enough people consider it to be political that it should be treated as such (and therefore against the CoC) and the link to the video removed. Bruce was open-minded enough at the onset to offer it up for deletion, so to prevent further controversy and potentially inconsitent application of the rules, I'm doing just that. My apologies to all who are offended, either by this decision or the post itself. - Vaughn]

.... You get five stars (*****) in my book Bruce :rofl:. To put it rather bluntly, you can't live and breath saw dust all the time. You need a breath of fresh air from time to time. We should have some diversion more often. It's good for the soul. I have learned this over the years and it helps to give a new and fresh perspective. And for those that don't feel they need a little diversion, they don't have to read it. After all, it's not in the mandatory reading section :eek: but in the "OFF TOPIC" section :).

.... I look forward to your next "OFF TOPIC" post, thanks :thumb:.

Boyd

If it is please delete

I found this very amusing.

"On April 29, 2006 at the 2006 White House Correspondents Dinner, Bush
invited a Bush impersonator named Steve Bridges to share the dais with him.
The premise was that the impersonator was Bush's conscience, interpreting
Bush's words with what he really meant. A 20-second sound and video bite
hit the newscasts, but this is the whole enchilada."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1921276117304287501&q=genre:comedy

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have warned me before watching that at work, Bruce. People are walking by my office wondering why I'm in tears. :rofl:

I recall seeing one of the Press Dinners "honoring" Clinton that was equally hilarious. It amazes me to see someone like the president get lampooned to his face, and go along with the joke. It's also gotta be a rush for Steve Bridges, standing next to the guy he's impersonating.

I agree with Frank...it's not over the line IMHO. :)

Ok. Vaughn's talking tears :eek: so I guess I'll dial in and watch it.
Normally I don't watch videos, as I have the ol' caveman dialup server.:eek:

Sorry guys, I think it is over the line. Awhile ago I posted a link to some Iraq pics and was, nicely , asked to remove it because it was "too political".

If we are going to keep this place neutral then we have to keep all political posts out of here.

I mention this because there have been some things that I wanted to post in the OT forum but didn't because of the prior request.

I admit I laughed the first time I saw this, and again when I looked at it here. That response notwithstanding, if we are going to have rules we should abide by them and posting anything about a political figure seems to me to be "politics".

Jay

Jay,

I am not sure what you were posting, but I thought this was quite funny and while it was the Pres, I saw a man lampooning himself and I found it in good taste. I didn't see anything that was attempting to influence thoughts or actions or highly controversial. I think the politics can be separated from the person, even at a formal event.

That said, this is a woodworking forum and is why we all signed up and there are other places to find this (although I may not have found it), so I'll leave it to the powers that be to make a decision. I personally don't see anything wrong with the post.

Sorry guys, I think it is over the line. Awhile ago I posted a link to some Iraq pics and was, nicely , asked to remove it because it was "too political".
Hi Jay,

Short of leaving this topic as being judged solely on its popularity or not via member input, one method for consideration would be to report the post.

Take care, Mike

Hi Jay,

Short of leaving this topic as being judged solely on its popularity or not via member input, one method for consideration would be to report the post.

Take care, Mike

I know we're self moderating to a point, but must someone report a post before moderators take it under consideration ?

Seeing that one admin and two mods have posted in this thread, I was surprised that the original post was not questioned by any of them. Especially when the OP raised the question in his post.

The CoC still reads - no politics, no religion. I agree with Jay that any post with a reference to a political figure such as the president is by extension, political. When he's been dead as long as Lincoln, I think people will be able to consider him in terms other than political, but he is still a controversial political figure at this point.

IMO, popularity should never be a factor in deciding whetether a post is allowable or not. A popular vote to change the CoC is one thing - counting favourable responses to a thread is something else entirely.

Easygoing and free thinking is fine, but when there is a CoC and when people have undertaken to moderate and are reluctant to do so, that's a real pity.

Last edited:
Ian.
My take on these posts, is too let the members decide.

We as moderators do not just pull a post, unless nudity or something really bad comes up. We will pull those for sure.;)

As Mike said, if a member deems it inappropriate, political, religious, just report it.

We started this site to be member run, not us.:) :) :)

Well guys

Since someone "asked the question" I thought that a discussion was in order.

And, frankly, it was because several moderators participated in the thread that I thought that it deserved comment. If we have rules, then the moderators should be the first to enforce them without having to wait and/or reply to a report.

But, if that is what it takes, then consider this my notification that I think this thread isn't in keeping with our rules

Jay

Please take this in the good-natured way that it's intended, but I respectfully disagree with Jay and Ian...

The video linked to in this post shows a political figure participating in a parody of himself. There is no effort to sway anyone's opinion, or even present a political viewpoint, IMHO.

The post that Jay referred to, while being patriotic and inspiring, did present a political viewpoint, with the intent to make people agree. As much as I agreed with the sentiment of Jay's post, it was political, IMHO.

Politics, religion, and a few other hot button topics will always involve varying degrees of interpretation. I think to completely exclude any reference to these topics is unworkable. Should we yank a thread because someone mentions prayer or God? I personally don't think we should. For the same reason, I don't think a thread should be yanked simply because it refers to or even features a political figure. On the other hand, if a post trys to sway someone else's religious or political beliefs, then I think it has become the type of thing the CoC is intended to prevent.

My $0.02 -

[Edited to add...I was posting this as the discussion was starting up in the Mods area. I repeated the same comments there.]

Well guys

Since someone "asked the question" I thought that a discussion was in order.

And, frankly, it was because several moderators participated in the thread that I thought that it deserved comment. If we have rules, then the moderators should be the first to enforce them without having to wait and/or reply to a report.

But, if that is what it takes, then consider this my notification that I think this thread isn't in keeping with our rules

Jay
Jay, I wrote what I wrote without commenting on the issue at hand so it could be discussed if and when it is reported to avoid bias.

Take care, Mike