Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye Protection

Eye Protection

Hi, I wear prescription glasses and was wondering if anyone else had a recommendation for a brand that can go over them or if they are happier with prescription eye protection. If the plastic ones are fine, what brand, cause the random ones sitting in our basement are awful, not very comfortable and they slide off easily.
    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    Oscar Wilde

Kris, I used to wear glasses before lasics and we have to wear safety glasses at work all the time. Honestly, I dont' think anyone ever invented a good option to wear over the top of glasses. Personally I wouldn't bother with anything other than regular glasses in a woodworking shop. You can get safety glasses made perscription, if you have an old set of frames laying around it's not to expensive to get some new lenses.

They also make some sideshields that clip onto regular glasses, but unless you're really having a problem with dust in your eyes, I wouldn't bother. They always seemed to me as more useful for protecting you from the people working around you. Also metalworking they're more useful as the chips coming off are a little more hazardous than wood. Just my opinion though. for those of us that dont' need glasses or wear contacts though, safety glasses are very worthwhile imho.

Edit - lathes may be an exception, I have never really used mine but I guess they can really fling things. Glasses or even face shields can be called for. Also using a grinder, they come with little shields to cover the wheels while grinding. If you're not using the shields or wearing safety glasses, best stand to the side :P
    Last edited by Jeb Taylor; 03-21-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Ya the other day I was finishing cleaning and was sucking up saw dust that had to have been on my dads old table saw for years. Well stupidly I forgot that theirs an exhaust port on the vaccum and with no bag attachment It just spit out the dust and it got flung into the air and tossed into my eyes. So I'd like a nice pair or safety glasses. Guess I'll have to teach these so called "safety experts" how to design some glasses.

Already have a design for some. ^.^
    Oscar Wilde

I only use a reading glasses for when I turn... so I can see up close... they're small and compact, but can't wear safety glasses over them. I use a bubble shaped face shield that I got from CSUSA.... if I can keep from slinging CA all over it, it works great for me...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

They did http://www.toolorbit.com/Trend/Trend-AIR-PRO.html
    Kills 2 birds with one stone eye protection and removes dust from the air you breath. Add the ear muffs and it's 3 birds with one stone
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    Kills 2 birds with one stone eye protection and removes dust from the air you breath. Add the ear muffs and it's 3 birds with one stone
    Chuck, you know that's what happened to the passenger pigeons... people would kill two or three with one stone...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I need to collaborate all the sites people keep linking for getting tools and what not. There's alot lol. Finished Drawing doodle of design for safety glasses. I'm going to smash some crappy plastic ones tomorrow and see if i can put some makeshift thing together for an example. Maybe rockler would like the submission idea.

Btw wolfpeak eye wear looks so cool. Stylish and efficient my favorite. ^.^
    Last edited by Kris Petrosky; 03-21-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Oscar Wilde

Bah they do have quite a few designs for fit over glasses ones...I am not disappointed, cept my design could be better.
    Oscar Wilde

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    They did http://www.toolorbit.com/Trend/Trend-AIR-PRO.html
    Chuck, can you wear that trend airshield over prescription eyeglasses?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I took my prescription to the optical department at Sam's Club for prescription safety glasses. Safety lenses, frames and side shields for no-line bifocals were about $150 three years ago. Don't know current prices. Do NOT just put plastic lenses in your old frames--those are not safety glasses. Lenses and frames are impact resistant in safety glasses. If you are a turner, I would also wear a face shield.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi