3 pens from a Manitoba Maple Burl slab

Mack Cameron

In Memorium
attachment.php

In Canuckland it's called a Flat Top American.
attachment.php

A Baron Rollerball. :)wave:pay particular attention to the matching finial!:D)
attachment.php

It's mate, a Sedona Rollerball.

Each pen was finished with 6 coats of Med. CA (spritzed btwn coats with CA accelerator) with the lathe running. Each pen was then gently sanded with 600 grit with the grain of the wood. Another 6 coats of Med. CA was applied (same spritzing with CA accelerator).

Then wet mm'd (dish detergent added to the water) from 1500 grit to 4000 grit. All pens were then buffed with Formax Buffing Compound (.6 micron) and a layer of Carnuba Wax.

Great tutorial Mack...I've lost a few due to failure and noticed they popped right back in. And yes sir it is wonderful and a little humbling to be cancer free and home!!:woohoo:

Excellent pens Mack!! :thumb::thumb:
(I read the other day this year's MPG has been cancelled. :()
Did you harvest this burl? Either way, do you find yourself stabilizing during turning with thin CA glue to insure success??

Excellent pens Mack!! :thumb::thumb:
(I read the other day this year's MPG has been cancelled. :()
Hi Jonathon; You're well behind the times. It's a GO now, as I understand it. Somebody has stepped up to help Cozee out, and all the arrangements are made. Check in The Pen Shop for more info!
Did you harvest this burl? Either way, do you find yourself stabilizing during turning with thin CA glue to insure success??
A friend from Edmonton AB harvested it. I traded for a slab. This burl was very solid, and didn't require stabilizing of any sort. The only CA used was in the finishing.

I'm hoping to get some more from him in the near future!