Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a board, a board or........

Is a board, a board or........

.........am I 'cheating'?

My daughter asked me to make her a small cutting board in the shape of an Arkansas Razorback 'boar'. (You may groan now.)
    OK, sounded like an easy and fun project. I found a pic of the Razorback symbol traced onto some old hardboard. Cut that out on the bandsaw with a 1/8" blade and have a template. I also drilled the eye.
    Was considering laminating some mahogany and maple but spotted these bamboo cutting boards at Wally World, very inexpensive. And, they come from a far away exotic country. Oh, well.
    So, wadda y'all think? Am I 'cheating' by not cutting, milling, re-milling and planing up my own board? Or is this a 'board'? I think a board is a board regardless.
    BTW, each finished cutting board will cost about $2.50 in materials. My free but hauled 100 miles walnut and maple or mahogany would have cost more than that.
    Pic of finished 'boar' board later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Razorback board.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

It's a board, it counts! Where do you find free mahogany? Man I wouldn't mind some of that.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank, I'd take that Hog head to Kinkos and have em blow it up to about twice as big then use it to make the board
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Taylor View Post
    It's a board, it counts! Where do you find free mahogany? Man I wouldn't mind some of that.
    A friend moved and cleaned out his stash of wood. He gave me quite a bit of small strips he used for segmented turnings. Has come in very handy. A member here, who has been quiet lately gave me a couple long 2"X2" pieces that I cut into occasionally for different projects.
    Works both ways. I give away a lot of wood also. Part of the fun.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

yes, youre cheating.

I think I agree with don, make it alot bigger and cut the board that shape.

YOure not making the board, youre just giving it a different shape.
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-23-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Frank, I'd take that Hog head to Kinkos and have em blow it up to about twice as big then use it to make the board
    She wanted small. I might do large ones later.

Looks like a sooie-t idea to me. Will you finish the edge to match the face?
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    Looks like a sooie-t idea to me. Will you finish the edge to match the face?
    Nope, just cut sand a little bit and ship.
    Edit: BTW, I believe the end cut for bamboo won't look much different than the side cut.

I've made a lot of cutting boards, but the wooden ones I use at my house are $5 or $10 bamboo boards from somewhere like Ikea. It's a great cutting board material.

For a specially-shaped cutting board, I see no reason not to start with a manufactured one. Whether you mill it or buy it milled, either way you're cutting a special shape out of a rectangle of wood. It'll still forever be "the cutting board my dad made for me".

I've not worked with manufactured bamboo lumber. I'm assuming curves can be cut cleanly in it without a bunch of splintering, but you might want to try a couple test cuts on an unused edge to see how well certain details like the ears will hold up.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Please post some pix of the finished product. Sounds like they will be nice.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi