Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitter Safety

Splitter Safety

I've GOT to get a splitter installed on my table saw (Grizzly 1023 cabinet) I'm looking at the MJ from MicroJig. Since I use Zero clearance plates it seems to be a good choice but it only works on 90 degree cuts.

Any opinions on the MJ splitter or suggestions on an alternate splitter? What did you folks end up with and do you like it?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by John Whittaker View Post
    I've GOT to get a splitter installed on my table saw (Grizzly 1023 cabinet) I'm looking at the MJ from MicroJig. Since I use Zero clearance plates it seems to be a good choice but it only works on 90 degree cuts.

Any opinions on the MJ splitter or suggestions on an alternate splitter? What did you folks end up with and do you like it?

Thanks...
    Have the Shark Guard with splitters, on my Dewalt Contractor, when I tilt the blade the splitters follow the blade to the angle.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

Steve Clardy Guest
    MJ splitter here on my 1023.
    No issues. Use it everyday almost.

I just bought the new and improved metal one. Haven't installed it yet.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Another option is to use a regular splitter and cut a hole (angled or really big if you want to do angle cuts) in the zci for your splitter.

I think about doing this from time to time, but so far I use the micro jig splitter for regular cuts and take out the zci for angled cuts, so I can pop in my bessey splitter.
    Don't believe everything you think!

I have the MJ and love it, its really the only one I use. I just bought the new Blue splitter with the metal inside but haven't put it on yet. It is supposed to be tougher and more durable than the first ones they made. I don't have any complaints on it.
    Rise above the rest

I have used the Micro Jig Splitter for a little over two years on my General 650 Table Saw. I quite like it and it definately has prevented kick back more than once.

The drawback as you point out is that it does not handle cuts at other than 90 degrees and I don't have an answer for that.
    Cheers, Frank

The new MJ Steel PRO is a vast improvement over the original...pretty indestructable.

http://nhwoodworker.com/microjig/mjpro.html

Contrary opinion here. I have used - and discarded as useless - the MJ splitter. The first time you really need it - when the kerf closes and pinches it - it will tear out of its mounting holes and will not fit back in properly. Now, in its defense, it does keep the kerf from pinching the blade, and therefore does prevent a potential kickback, but at the expense of its own life. It's essentially a one-time-use item, so it you are going to use it, make sure you have spares on hand.

That said, I almost religiously use the Biesemeyer splitter. If you use thin kerf blades, the Uniguard splitter - at less than half the cost of the Biesemeyer - is a similar design that works very well.
    Jim D.

Jim,

That was the case but you can't say that about the improved model...at least not based on the testing I've done.

If you read my review on the original splitter I mention that I dont consider the MJ the only splitter one should use. I had a Biesemeyer which was sold with my saw and now I have the Delta drop in splitter (I like the biese better)

I use the MJ Steel pro for much of my work but when the board get's long or I'm cutting sheet goods I prefer to use the taller Delta splitter.

MJ made a prototype taller splitter for me which I like too but I usually switch to the Delta.

If you're going to use the GRR-Ripper then you need a MJ Splitter or one which is low profile.