Finished the finish

Jim Burr

Left un-finished before my vacation, this is a Claro HF...no particular shape. Fresno ebony which is Sharpie'd cherry. My first finial...a poor transition from the mouth to the base and doesn't taper well to the tip...Oh well. 4 coats of gloss poly. About 5x2. Any C & C is appreciated and needed

Attachments

• hf1.jpg
    hf1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 50
  • hf2.jpg
    hf2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 37
That's a fine-looking hollow form there, Jim. :thumb: Not much to critique...you've already spotted the things I would have mentioned, and that's all stuff that gets better with repetition. I think you'll find that tight-grained woods like ebony or African blackwood are easier to get thinner and more detailed finials out of than cherry.

I'm guessing there's only so much of this "resting up" stuff a woodworker can do before the call of the shop begins to drown out everything else. :D

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it looks just fine to me... :thumb: :thumb:

You might want to ask Rennie how he does his ebonizing. I saw some of his G&G work with some wood he ebonized and it looked so much like Ebony it was freaky. I think it was a 2 step process.

Just something to look into. :thumb:

Thanks all! Steve, that was the transtion I was talking about...looks like a smoke stack to me. Brent, we'll see if Rennie can offer any hints for the process. Back to the shop!:wave:

Thanks all! Steve, that was the transtion I was talking about...looks like a smoke stack to me. Brent, we'll see if Rennie can offer any hints for the process. Back to the shop!:wave:
I thought it was just had to throw my :twocents: in.:rofl: I'll tell ya what it looks a heck of a lot better than mine did the first couple years. Heck looks better than a lot of them still.:thumb:

Uhhh...I know better!! I've seen a good deal of your finials and unless I become a turning wizard is the next 10 minutes...I'm years behind you. I talked (pm) to Rennie today and he is looking for the Popular Woodworking article for me. Started one part of it so I'm ready! Ebony and blackwod is so expensive..I hate to waste a rare wood on fire-pit lighter fluid. I do have some dense junk I can practice on..but I'm on a different mission now. More later :eek::huh: