Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Michigan Chocolate Slab

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361

    Michigan Chocolate Slab

    So, since it might be a little while before I work on this project, I'm wondering if there's anything I should do, storage wise, to keep the one crack from spreading?

    I like the idea of putting in a dutchman in the finished product, but just want to prevent it from getting any larger now...

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-2894.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    new york city burbs
    Posts
    10,188
    that is one sweet looking chunk of lumber.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Catalunya
    Posts
    4,632
    I can't suggest anything to prevent that crack from spreading but trying to slow down the drying speed by decreasing the exposed board surface.

    However with a slab like that one you'd better make good use of it or I will personally will come to US to pull your ears..

    If you don't know what I mean by good use, pm me and I'll give you some hints.
    Gotcha?
    Best regards,
    Toni

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    13,451
    mmmmm...chocolate.
    Darren

    To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361
    Left out the 2 other pieces I plan to use for the base eventually...

    Really thinking this should be as simple a table as possible. Even up the edges, smooth it off, and make some tenons on the 'legs' and mortises in the top to accept the tenons.

    Will have lots of options when it comes to that, will need to think about a stretcher for the legs, etc...

    Any how, here are the bookmatched mini slabs (Mini? Heck they are over 3' tall) for the legs.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-2898.jpg  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Catalunya
    Posts
    4,632
    Brent... I've already warned you...
    Best regards,
    Toni

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I can't suggest anything to prevent that crack from spreading but trying to slow down the drying speed by decreasing the exposed board surface.

    However with a slab like that one you'd better make good use of it or I will personally will come to US to pull your ears..

    If you don't know what I mean by good use, pm me and I'll give you some hints.
    Gotcha?
    I gotcha! Feel free to post some suggestions in this thread, if you don't mind.

    I personally feel the wood is the star in this and that I should do as little as possible to ruin it. If the bark was intact all the way around, I'd probably leave it as is on the edges, but right now I'm thinking more along the lines of debarking the edges, leaving whatever profile/line is there and just sanding it smooth for a finish.

    I haven't looked at it long enough to decide what to do on the ends, but I'm definitely not going to just 'square it up'. I want it to be more 'organic' if that makes sense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    DSM, IA
    Posts
    5,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    If the bark was intact all the way around, I'd probably leave it as is on the edges, but right now I'm thinking more along the lines of debarking the edges, leaving whatever profile/line is there and just sanding it smooth for a finish.

    I haven't looked at it long enough to decide what to do on the ends, but I'm definitely not going to just 'square it up'. I want it to be more 'organic' if that makes sense.
    I like that idea too!

    Would making a "staple" with a bent nail hold the crack? You could just put the dutchman where the holes are once you're finishing it.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inside the Beltway
    Posts
    2,666
    I have a feeling Nakashima would just smooth the surface, put in some butterfly splines for those cracks, put on some legs and call it done!



    Thanks,

    Bill

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reno NV
    Posts
    13,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    I have a feeling Nakashima would just smooth the surface, put in some butterfly splines for those cracks, put on some legs and call it done!



    Thanks,

    Bill
    Thats exactly the effect I'm thinking of going for!!

    Thanks Bill!

Similar Threads

  1. Chocolate glorius Chocolate.....
    By Rob Keeble in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
  2. And Some More Michigan Chocolate...
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 12:38 AM
  3. Michigan Chocolate Crotch Hollow Form - Revisited the Finial
    By Vaughn McMillan in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
  4. Elm Slab Bowl
    By Jeff Bower in forum Lathe Project Showcase
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
  5. Deck over a slab
    By Mike Rathe in forum General Woodworking Q&A
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •