Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Chocolate Slab

Michigan Chocolate Slab

So, since it might be a little while before I work on this project, I'm wondering if there's anything I should do, storage wise, to keep the one crack from spreading?

I like the idea of putting in a dutchman in the finished product, but just want to prevent it from getting any larger now...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-2894.jpg  

that is one sweet looking chunk of lumber.

I can't suggest anything to prevent that crack from spreading but trying to slow down the drying speed by decreasing the exposed board surface.

However with a slab like that one you'd better make good use of it or I will personally will come to US to pull your ears..

If you don't know what I mean by good use, pm me and I'll give you some hints.
    Gotcha?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

mmmmm...chocolate.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Left out the 2 other pieces I plan to use for the base eventually...

Really thinking this should be as simple a table as possible. Even up the edges, smooth it off, and make some tenons on the 'legs' and mortises in the top to accept the tenons.

Will have lots of options when it comes to that, will need to think about a stretcher for the legs, etc...

Any how, here are the bookmatched mini slabs (Mini? Heck they are over 3' tall) for the legs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FWW-2898.jpg  

Brent... I've already warned you...
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    I can't suggest anything to prevent that crack from spreading but trying to slow down the drying speed by decreasing the exposed board surface.

However with a slab like that one you'd better make good use of it or I will personally will come to US to pull your ears..

If you don't know what I mean by good use, pm me and I'll give you some hints.
    Gotcha?
    I gotcha! Feel free to post some suggestions in this thread, if you don't mind.

I personally feel the wood is the star in this and that I should do as little as possible to ruin it. If the bark was intact all the way around, I'd probably leave it as is on the edges, but right now I'm thinking more along the lines of debarking the edges, leaving whatever profile/line is there and just sanding it smooth for a finish.

I haven't looked at it long enough to decide what to do on the ends, but I'm definitely not going to just 'square it up'. I want it to be more 'organic' if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    If the bark was intact all the way around, I'd probably leave it as is on the edges, but right now I'm thinking more along the lines of debarking the edges, leaving whatever profile/line is there and just sanding it smooth for a finish.

I haven't looked at it long enough to decide what to do on the ends, but I'm definitely not going to just 'square it up'. I want it to be more 'organic' if that makes sense.
    I like that idea too!

Would making a "staple" with a bent nail hold the crack? You could just put the dutchman where the holes are once you're finishing it.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

I have a feeling Nakashima would just smooth the surface, put in some butterfly splines for those cracks, put on some legs and call it done!

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    I have a feeling Nakashima would just smooth the surface, put in some butterfly splines for those cracks, put on some legs and call it done!

Thanks,

Bill
    Thats exactly the effect I'm thinking of going for!!

Thanks Bill!