Put my Gripper together yesterday.

I have a shallow groove in one of mine. Still works fine. When you are setup for the cut sight through the Grr-Ripper past the blade to confirm clearance . . . I know, I know, Now he tells me. If you order a new one, go ahead and order the 1/8" side fixture. I love that thing.

I would guess it's the gripper Cynthia.

I just ordered one from Rockler. 20% off and free shipping. I'll be lucky if I get it out of the box before I do something wrong to it.

How many Brent ???

I have a number of grooves on mine, and have replaced one of the outside pieces because it eventually ran out of rubber. Of course I try to adjust things to miss the blade, but I try If I do start a cut and notice that it's into one of the runners, I continue the cut. I figure that's safer than trying to stop the cut partway through. I also always check to be sure my blade height is set correctly.

Cynthia, I know I feel safer with my Gr-rripper and MJ splitter than I do with the blade guard and factory splitter. And the pawls? They are a WAY bigger hazard than a help, in my opinion. ;) Just always be aware of where the blade is, and where your hands are.

I have a number of grooves on mine, and have replaced one of the outside pieces because it eventually ran out of rubber. Of course I try to adjust things to miss the blade, but I try If I do start a cut and notice that it's into one of the runners, I continue the cut. I figure that's safer than trying to stop the cut partway through. I also always check to be sure my blade height is set correctly.

Cynthia, I know I feel safer with my Gr-rripper and MJ splitter than I do with the blade guard and factory splitter. And the pawls? They are a WAY bigger hazard than a help, in my opinion. ;) Just always be aware of where the blade is, and where your hands are.

my concern is when I remove my riving knife, i don't have any splitter...:(

I'm with Vaughn on this. I love the mj-splitter as well. It doesn't work so well for off 90 degree cuts, but it definitely keeps the wood from pinching the blade.

I found the original splitter and pawls and cover that came with my saw and I can't even figure out how I would use those things safely. They interfere with using my board buddies, or feather boards, or anything....

I felt a little odd using the gripper, as I usually never put my hands above the blade, but I did feel safe with it, and I also used featherboards to help control the infeed side of the wood....

I have a shallow groove in one of mine. Still works fine. When you are setup for the cut sight through the Grr-Ripper past the blade to confirm clearance . . . I know, I know, Now he tells me. If you order a new one, go ahead and order the 1/8" side fixture. I love that thing.

When I got my Gripper, Glenn gave me the, "sight through the tunnel" lecture. To quote someone (a line from a joke), "So far so good." I have not added any extra grooves.

Now that I have said that publicly, I will probably saw the heck out of it---and it will all be your fault.

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. I was a hard sell. However I really like the Gripper.

:wave:I find Grippers to be something like M & M's, you just can't stop at 1!:dunno:

attachment.php

my concern is when I remove my riving knife, i don't have any splitter...:(

I'm not familiar with the riving knife on your saw (photo op?), but if A) it's mounted independently of the blade guard; B) it changes height as you move the blade up and down, and; C) it's only marginally higher than the top of the blade, you should be able to use the riving knife with the Grr-ripper.

I'm not familiar with the riving knife on your saw (photo op?), but if A) it's mounted independently of the blade guard; B) it changes height as you move the blade up and down, and; C) it's only marginally higher than the top of the blade, you should be able to use the riving knife with the Grr-ripper.

There are several pictures of the riving knife if you scroll down here. Sorry but my hands and fingers hurt too much this morning to operate my camera. :rofl: This woodworking stuff is not for sissies! :rofl: It looks like a big dolphin. :D but I guess if the blade is just peeking up above the table it won't interfere with the GRRRripper. I think you're right.

I'm with Vaughn on this. I love the mj-splitter as well. It doesn't work so well for off 90 degree cuts, but it definitely keeps the wood from pinching the blade.

i bought one of the mj splitter things and i personally thought it was crap. every single time i tried to cut something using it the splitter would pull out of the insert