Anyone else using Radiata wood

Dom DiCara

Picked some up at the BORG...not much more then reg pine, but very clear and easy to work. Also a lot straighter then normal "Orange" Lumber.

Funny though...big sign says lumber from Idaho.....but on the lumber itself, it says imported from New Zealand!!

You would think it would be more expensive to ship it from the other side of the world....hmm

Don't use it outside. It rots in as little as a couple of years here, even with a good paint on it.

The stuff I tried was softer than pine, and pine is too soft for my liking, so I don't use it. Some of the Borgs sold it as pine when it is not a pine at all.

A builder here trimmed out the outside of a huge house with it, did a good paint job on it, and the second year when the paint started to peel it was because the Radenta was totally rotten. I was building a house next door at the time, and they did everything right. He was a good builder. Everything was preprimed/painted before it went up and a good quality enamel was used [Mirolac] caulking and flashings were all correct, but it still rotted, even in areas that were sheltered from the weather. He was sick about it, and replaced all of the trim at his expense, but still it hurt his reputation. This was when it first started showing up, so he had no way of knowing. We live in a very tough climate, but still I would not use it outside unless I was in an arrid climate like Arizona.

Don't use it outside. It rots in as little as a couple of years here, even with a good paint on it.

The stuff I tried was softer than pine, and pine is too soft for my liking, so I don't use it. Some of the Borgs sold it as pine when it is not a pine at all.

A builder here trimmed out the outside of a huge house with it, did a good paint job on it, and the second year when the paint started to peel it was because the Radenta was totally rotten. I was building a house next door at the time, and they did everything right. He was a good builder. Everything was preprimed/painted before it went up and a good quality enamel was used [Mirolac] caulking and flashings were all correct, but it still rotted, even in areas that were sheltered from the weather. He was sick about it, and replaced all of the trim at his expense, but still it hurt his reputation. This was when it first started showing up, so he had no way of knowing. We live in a very tough climate, but still I would not use it outside unless I was in an arrid climate like Arizona.

Larry, where is "here"?