Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just got home from the ER...

Just got home from the ER...

My wife woke up at around 3:45 this morning, our elderly dachshund was whining up a storm. She went to get out of bed and as she did, a huge wave of dizzyness struck her. She described it as 'bullet time' from the Matrix. I checked on her, dealt with the dog, but she continued to be very dizzy. She has type II Diabetes, so I thought perhaps her blood sugar was up (it was ,but that was a coincidence)... Long and the short of it is this: one ambulance ride, 4 and a half hrs in the ER later we find out that she had pretty high blood sugar on top of a case of Vertigo. Some saline brought down the blood sugar, a couple of pills helped with the vertigo, though she still feels like she's leaning ot the left. (Note, this is Not a political discussion), and she walks kinda funny right now, but she's resting comfortably at home.

I'm about to go take a nap as well, having just cleaned up my work van, some local punks decided to Egg our house, and the missed, hitting my company van in addition to the house. . I probably shouldn't have driven on only 3 hrs of sleep or so, but I didn't want the egg to do any More damage to the paint on the truck.

Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are.
    -Ned

Ned, I hope her surger level drops she sin my prayers.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

My prayers are going up for you and your wife. I get vertigo now and then and a couple of times it lasted a whole week. My whole family has it. Nothing like hanging on to walls, fatigue, throwing up from the nausea, etc. Only good side effect is losing weight from not wanting to eat.

With my kind, I learned that the exercises can really help. Made the first week long venture disappear in 10 minutes. Let me know if you want info.

Sorry to hear of the early morning excursion. Hope she's feeling better after her nap. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Wow, sorry to hear about that Ned. Take a nap, you deserve it!

That's a pretty scary experience. I'm glad things appear to be under control.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Sounds like a long morning. Glad she's doing better, better get some rest.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Glad she's doing better. Wow, vertigo, that's a bummer. Let's hope it passes quickly. I'll send you both some good vibes...........
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    My wife woke up at around 3:45 this morning, our elderly dachshund was whining up a storm. She went to get out of bed and as she did, a huge wave of dizzyness struck her. She described it as 'bullet time' from the Matrix. I checked on her, dealt with the dog, but she continued to be very dizzy. She has type II Diabetes, so I thought perhaps her blood sugar was up (it was ,but that was a coincidence)... Long and the short of it is this: one ambulance ride, 4 and a half hrs in the ER later we find out that she had pretty high blood sugar on top of a case of Vertigo. Some saline brought down the blood sugar, a couple of pills helped with the vertigo, though she still feels like she's leaning ot the left. (Note, this is Not a political discussion), and she walks kinda funny right now, but she's resting comfortably at home.

Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are.
    I sympathize with her on the Vertigo... was just diagnosed with it myself about 2 months ago... I've always had twinges of dizziness... usually just shake my head real hard and it'll pass.... got a bout of it on the way home from a show last summer and actually had to pull off the highway for a few minutes.... my wife also has diabetes, plus cataracts and problems with the retina in her eyes... she can't drive now, so when I couldn't drive either we were in trouble.... I carry a few pills in an antler pill case on my key ring just in case.... doesn't happen often, but when it does the world really whirls around me. The pills make me drowsy and dopier than usual. Tell her to take it easy and she does have my sympathy.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    Glad she's doing better. Wow, vertigo, that's a bummer. Let's hope it passes quickly. I'll send you both some good vibes...........
    Cynthia, bad thing about Vertigo... it does pass, but never goes away... I've had twinges of it all my life, but lately it's gotten to the point I have to carry a pill for it... I think it may have something to do with the ringing in my ears... they have screamed a high pitch scream for 30 years... ever since I worked for the airlines.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.