Just got home from the ER...

Ned Bulken

My wife woke up at around 3:45 this morning, our elderly dachshund was whining up a storm. She went to get out of bed and as she did, a huge wave of dizzyness struck her. She described it as 'bullet time' from the Matrix. I checked on her, dealt with the dog, but she continued to be very dizzy. She has type II Diabetes, so I thought perhaps her blood sugar was up (it was ,but that was a coincidence)... Long and the short of it is this: one ambulance ride, 4 and a half hrs in the ER later we find out that she had pretty high blood sugar on top of a case of Vertigo. Some saline brought down the blood sugar, a couple of pills helped with the vertigo, though she still feels like she's leaning ot the left. (Note, this is Not a political discussion), and she walks kinda funny right now, but she's resting comfortably at home.

I'm about to go take a nap as well, having just cleaned up my work van, some local punks decided to Egg our house, and the missed, hitting my company van in addition to the house. :bang:. I probably shouldn't have driven on only 3 hrs of sleep or so, but I didn't want the egg to do any More damage to the paint on the truck.

Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are.

My prayers are going up for you and your wife. I get vertigo now and then and a couple of times it lasted a whole week. My whole family has it. Nothing like hanging on to walls, fatigue, throwing up from the nausea, etc. Only good side effect is losing weight from not wanting to eat.

With my kind, I learned that the exercises can really help. Made the first week long venture disappear in 10 minutes. Let me know if you want info.

My wife woke up at around 3:45 this morning, our elderly dachshund was whining up a storm. She went to get out of bed and as she did, a huge wave of dizzyness struck her. She described it as 'bullet time' from the Matrix. I checked on her, dealt with the dog, but she continued to be very dizzy. She has type II Diabetes, so I thought perhaps her blood sugar was up (it was ,but that was a coincidence)... Long and the short of it is this: one ambulance ride, 4 and a half hrs in the ER later we find out that she had pretty high blood sugar on top of a case of Vertigo. Some saline brought down the blood sugar, a couple of pills helped with the vertigo, though she still feels like she's leaning ot the left. (Note, this is Not a political discussion), and she walks kinda funny right now, but she's resting comfortably at home.

Good night Mrs Calabash, wherever you are.

I sympathize with her on the Vertigo... was just diagnosed with it myself about 2 months ago... I've always had twinges of dizziness... usually just shake my head real hard and it'll pass.... got a bout of it on the way home from a show last summer and actually had to pull off the highway for a few minutes.... my wife also has diabetes, plus cataracts and problems with the retina in her eyes... she can't drive now, so when I couldn't drive either we were in trouble.... I carry a few pills in an antler pill case on my key ring just in case.... doesn't happen often, but when it does the world really whirls around me. The pills make me drowsy and dopier than usual. Tell her to take it easy and she does have my sympathy.

Glad she's doing better. Wow, vertigo, that's a bummer. Let's hope it passes quickly. I'll send you both some good vibes...........;)

Cynthia, bad thing about Vertigo... it does pass, but never goes away... I've had twinges of it all my life, but lately it's gotten to the point I have to carry a pill for it... I think it may have something to do with the ringing in my ears... they have screamed a high pitch scream for 30 years... ever since I worked for the airlines.

I've had a few times of getting on the road and turning around after a couple of miles. Just didn't feel safe driving. I too have the permanent ringing in my right ear (due to shooting a short barrel 38 without ear protection...nothing like being 18 and stupid). Good thing it hasn't driven me crazy after all these years, although I'm pretty sure it has driven Brent crazy :rofl::rofl::rofl::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Fortunately the episodes are not as strong or as often as they used to be

Well after a nap and some more running around doing errands (filling prescriptions etc...)

Lori is feeling better, her description is 'no sudden moves', otherwise it is tolerable for now. Her levels are approaching 'better' if not 'normal', though the medicine is going to have her higher than where she'd like for awhile.

SO, a wake up call, and some more things to follow up on, but we'll manage.

Thanks all, you put the Family in Family Woodworking!:thumb:

Ned
Give her my best as I have had my bouts with Vertigo...

A bad case of it and I just can't function.. So I have great sympathy for her.

Chuck I sure like to know what pills help as I have never been given anything but a neck twist and advice to let it wear off.

I found some exercises from another source that seemed to help but it sure took them some time ...

Her is a link..
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/brandt/first.html

Also search for info on
Brandt-Daroff exercises

Best of luck to Lori...

Garry

Glad she's doing better Ned. Vertigo is one of those things that makes you feel like you could die, but usually has no serious cause. Hang in there, my friend.

Hang in there both, Mr and Mrs Ned!!!!!
I had vertigo bad this winter, ear infection that is still creating some situations from time to time. Know the list to the left well. Take things easy and be safe. Prayers being said.

Chuck I sure like to know what pills help as I have never been given anything but a neck twist and advice to let it wear off.

I found some exercises from another source that seemed to help but it sure took them some time ...

Garry

Garry,
I don't know if the pills really stop/help or just makes me think they will.. Friday's episode took most of the day to pass, even after taking the pill.. nothing serious, just a sensation of off balance... I sat in an easy chair and napped most of the day..

The stuff the doctor gave me is called: Meclizine 25mg Tablet Par... I take 1/2 to 1 every 8 hours as needed... usually if I take one I don't need another for a few weeks. I'll sometimes get a twinge, but like you I do a neck twist and a quick head shake and usually I can keep going... if it gets ahead of me, then I have to take the Meclizine.... don't like it as makes me groggy but I've had a few episodes where I would be so dizzy I would be nauseous.