2011 Swap Box display thread

I got home from work today and found this:

attachment.php

Great job Tom! That's really thinking, er, outside the Box! :thumb:

View attachment 55245

I'll have to get it opened up . . . .

Wow, take a look at this. Tom could not have picked a better box type for me. I have been meaning to try a bandsaw box and here's some major inspiration. This is going in the living room. I even have some other arched and laminated buddies for him to hang out with.

View attachment 55246 View attachment 55247 View attachment 55248

What a great signature idea. How'd he do that?

View attachment 55249

And a note enclosed telling some of the tale.

View attachment 55250

Thanks so much Tom and a big thinks to everybody involved; swappers and watchers.

That is a nice box. Don't let Tom fool ya he IS a woodworker. I have seen his work first hand and it is amazing what he is able to accomplish with the minimal tools he has.:thumb::thumb: OH and his work sounds great too :clap::score:

View attachment 55245

I'll have to get it opened up . . . .

Wow, take a look at this. Tom could not have picked a better box type for me. I have been meaning to try a bandsaw box and here's some major inspiration. This is going in the living room. I even have some other arched and laminated buddies for him to hang out with.

View attachment 55246 View attachment 55247 View attachment 55248

What a great signature idea. How'd he do that?

View attachment 55249

And a note enclosed telling some of the tale.

View attachment 55250

Thanks so much Tom and a big thinks to everybody involved; swappers and watchers.

Glenn, I'm glad that it arrived safe and sound. Deciding on a design was the hardest part. I wanted something that was unique yet easy to look at. I hope you enjoy it as it was my pleasure to build it.

I can't believe that the Post Office carried that box over 2100 miles in less than 48 hours. This has truly been a fun project.

Ok ok... pics or it didn't happen right? LOL (sorry for the less than stellar pics, I don't have my "lighting stage" set up)

I got this super awesome Spalted Maple salt box from my friend Jim Burr out in Cali. Me an Jim go way back in this swappin' thing right Jim :thumb:
It's a little dark but you can still see this wood is fantastic... I happen to have a thing for funny wood too!

attachment.php

Here's the top

attachment.php

and a different view of the fantastic patterning

attachment.php

and a couple with it open.... the lid pivots on a pin and has a nifty rare earth magnet to snap it closed

attachment.php

attachment.php

the bottom....

attachment.php

here's one with it full of fine Mediterranean sea salt which Jim sent along as well.

attachment.php

and a bonus for all those college notes I am taking!

attachment.php

and one more pic of the pen... looks like cherry burl and has some weight to it

attachment.php

I love the box and the pen.... both fantastic and you did a wonderful job :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• tn_DSC03939.JPG
    tn_DSC03939.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 229
  • tn_DSC03941.JPG
    tn_DSC03941.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 228
  • tn_DSC03940.JPG
    tn_DSC03940.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 229
  • tn_DSC03942.JPG
    tn_DSC03942.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 226
  • tn_DSC03943.JPG
    tn_DSC03943.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 225
  • tn_DSC03965.JPG
    tn_DSC03965.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 222
  • tn_DSC03938.JPG
    tn_DSC03938.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 225
  • tn_DSC03953.JPG
    tn_DSC03953.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 222
  • tn_DSC03944.JPG
    tn_DSC03944.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 225
Cool Tom:thumb::thumb::thumb:
After seeing whats been put up so far I think I'm going to use the one I made for fuel and build another one.:doh:

I love the box and the pen.... both fantastic and you did a wonderful job :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Very cool Jim and Kalea!

Jim, I love the look of that salt Cellar. I made one a few years ago and use it everyday, but it's not nearly as cool as yours. I'm warning you, I'm going to be hitting you up for that pivot pin mechanism and how you did that!:thumb:

Ok ok... pics or it didn't happen right? LOL (sorry for the less than stellar pics, I don't have my "lighting stage" set up)

I got this super awesome Spalted Maple salt box from my friend Jim Burr out in Cali. Me an Jim go way back in this swappin' thing right Jim :thumb:
It's a little dark but you can still see this wood is fantastic... I happen to have a thing for funny wood too!

Nice job Jim ya hit that one out of the park :thumb::thumb:

Those shown so far are absolutely fabulous, yep if mine wasn't already in route I would rethink mine:p Man Boxes, plane, band saw version, salt box, pen and this is just the beginning, well done so far well done:clap::clap::clap:

Bob, and Tom, and Jim: Wow. Those are just beautiful. spectacular. What wonderful gifts. I'm so happy for you. and Mack, no problem--I'm sure yours will be great when it gets to where it's going.

Congrats to all so far.

The competition is going to be tough. (I put that for Cynthia) Lets hope she doesn't see these boxes and go berserk again:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have to go seal up my shipping box...sniff sniff....

sad-027.gif

sad-025.gif