2011 Swap Box display thread

What's really going to be intresting is that all of us were given a simple instruction to "build a box". The results of that simple instruction are going to be so different from each other. This could really turn out to be an intresting study of human nature.

OK, I have to inform you that I will be a week late. The box is built but is not finished. I have several very good excuses for not being able to work on it over the weekend and during this week, but I will spare you all apologetically and just say it was bad planning on my part. I did not over estimate my abilities, I underestimated the universe's abilty to throw a bag of curveballs that were not on my dance card...........:doh:

Box Ready to Send

I've got my box finished and ready to send, but thought I'd post a picture of it here before I put it in the mail.

I was really going to try and go along with the OSB theme, but the only OSB I have has been sitting outside for too long and is somewhat waterlogged.

However, I did manage to find some thin MDF that we had been using as a floor cover while I renovated the kitchen. One side of it was quite clean as it had been on the bottom and not walked on.

Now I'm sure you all realize how difficult it is to glue MDF on edge and it was too thin for nails or screws, so I had to resort to the universal attachment medium and used duct tape to keep it together.

I'm hoping I can upload the picture I took of my box and I'll get it in the mail to its destination in the morning.

Thanks for letting me participate. :rofl:

Harvey

Attachments

• March 2011 107a.jpg
    March 2011 107a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 102
Great start so far, kids!

Bob, your gift to Brent was plane wonderful, and the box it came in is equally nice.

Tom, not a woodworker? You sure have me fooled. Great work. I think you now know why most folks call them "sanding boxes" after they've made one.

Jim, great work (as usual), and like Brent, I'd like to know how you did the pivot pin.

This is gonna be epic. :thumb:

Ok ok... pics or it didn't happen right? LOL (sorry for the less than stellar pics, I don't have my "lighting stage" set up)

I got this super awesome Spalted Maple salt box from my friend Jim Burr out in Cali. Me an Jim go way back in this swappin' thing right Jim :thumb:
It's a little dark but you can still see this wood is fantastic... I happen to have a thing for funny wood too!

I love the box and the pen.... both fantastic and you did a wonderful job :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank you Ma'am. I manage to get the grain lines to match up! Finish was done after I was sent home from the hospital and it just didn't want cooperate...it has some swirlies here and there. I didn't have the energy fight it so I made a pen to make up for it; it’s an Aero Ti kit from CSUSA with Amboyna burl with a CA finish. It's a smaller kit that I hope fits your hand well. Hope you guys cook...if not you can put a magnet in the bottom and use it in the shop as a bolt holder! :rofl:

Last edited:
Tom and Bob...Beautiful work:thumb::thumb:!! It really is cool to see what happens when we pull out all the stops for "The Family"
I'll see what I can do about some pics for the torsion pin piviot.

Ken Cook had my name WOW

Postman came beating on my door today and I got a package form somebody in Mi. Got it opened up and BOY what I seen made my mouth drop. Wife grabbed it out of my hand and tried to figure out how to open it and finely gave up :huh

I opened the lid hoping to find out where it came form and found a nice note form Ken Cook.

Ken Thank you!! You really knocked my socks off this box is knock dead gorgeous and will be displayed for everyone to see. You did a beautiful job my friend and my hat is off to you.

Jay

And as required here is the proof.
100_1602.jpg 100_1603.jpg 100_1605.jpg 100_1606.jpg 100_1607.jpg 100_1608.jpg100_1610.jpg100_1611.jpg

Jay, that is one great box Ken made. It has a bit of a Frank Lloyd Wright feel to it doesn't it? I have heard that wenge is an experience to work with. The note on the lid is very appropriate. He must've known :thumb:

Last edited: