2011 Swap Box display thread

Ken, I can't really tell from the picture but does the center corner spline penetrate into the inside of the box to act as a stop for the removable tray???

That's what he did and its pretty impressive also the signature is on the bottom of the tray. Im still blown away with this gift. :eek::eek::thumb::thumb:

here's a peek Bob...and from all of these compliments, I'm hoping whoever drew my name didn't make a hat box...it would be too small what with my head expanding ....you folks sure are great confidence builders to boot! :thumb:

Wow Jay!! That's a great box! And all the little details...just another amazing example of the talent the "Family" has to offer. Ken...you da man!! Super job:thumb:

Per/for my bud Jonathan I am posting his box for him as his camera is at work:thumb:

Edit: I guess I should say what the wood is, the box is Jatoba and the top is spalted Elm :)

Attachments

• Jon_Box_1_Side (800 x 600).jpg
    Jon_Box_1_Side (800 x 600).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 98
  • Jon_Box_2_Side (800 x 640).jpg
    Jon_Box_2_Side (800 x 640).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Jon_Box_3_Open (800 x 707).jpg
    Jon_Box_3_Open (800 x 707).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 96
  • Jon_Box_4_Top (800 x 548).jpg
    Jon_Box_4_Top (800 x 548).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Jon_Box_5_Back (800 x 600).jpg
    Jon_Box_5_Back (800 x 600).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 89
  • Jon_Box_6_Hinge (797 x 800).jpg
    Jon_Box_6_Hinge (797 x 800).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Jon_Box_7_Top (800 x 600).jpg
    Jon_Box_7_Top (800 x 600).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Thanks all:thumb: The hinges are due to inspiration of Derek Cohen of Perth Australia:) one incredible woodworker:thumb: He posted how he makes wooden hinges back in June of 2009 and I have been waiting to use them and be brave enough to try them since then, here is his article in fine woodworking magazine that I used as reference, thanks Derek if you see this I sure appreciate your tut:thumb: http://www.finewoodworking.com//item/15165/making-a-wooden-hinge-for-a-box

Ken and Tom...Wow! And this is just the beginning. :thumb:

Every box so far has been great. :clap:

I've got my box finished and ready to send, but thought I'd post a picture of it here before I put it in the mail...

Harvey, that box is really something. Not sure what, but I'm positive it's something. :D If I'm the lucky recipient of that box, rest assured it'll have a very special place in my home. I'm thinking closet, or maybe a yet-to-be-dug basement. :whistling: (Actually, I'd put it on the mantle as a conversation piece. It would start some, for sure.) It has a real Arts and Crafts look to it, with emphasis on the Crafts part. :p Great work, my man. :thumb:

Folks I tell you, the feel of this box, the fit and finish, it is outstanding. When my box recipient gets mine, that won't be a couple of the attributes discussed I am sure. :rofl:
The wooden hinges, I have wanted to do some for ages. Now in my own home (on my wife's dresser) I will have my very own template! :thumb: I might add, it isn't going on her dresser for quite some time as it has a place in the center of the dining room table so it can be shown off and admired by all!
Tom branded it, that added a bunch to it also. I can't imagine the time, I have opened and closed it probably 100 times already, it works smooth as silk and it closes and matches up 110% every time!
Tom, as I said on the phone, "thank you so very much, it is a box that I could not afford to purchase if I saw it at a show". I can't wait to see your kitchen cabinets, they looked outstanding in the pictures, but having a box from you and seeing its craftsmanship, I can imagine the kitchen now has to be seen to be believed. Thank you for creating this box swap, thank you for the excellent box.