Maple Crotch

Wayne Bower

I haven't posted anything for quite a while as I could not figure out how to resize the pics to post. Thanks to Vaughn and his little tut that I found for resizing photos I have figured out how to post again. Thanks again Vaughn.
This one is approx 10" in diameter, 8" high. It is a crotch piece from the neighbors elm that they cut down in order to build a double garage . It is still changing shape. It was a challenge to turn but I think the end result was worth it. Didn't get it as thin as I wanted as the noises that it was making made me decide to stop at about 3/8" walls. Finish is Arm r Seal gloss.

Attachments

• Bowl 105 2 - post.jpg
    Bowl 105 2 - post.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Bowl 105 post 3 (640x452).jpg
    Bowl 105 post 3 (640x452).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Bowl 105 post 4.jpg
    Bowl 105 post 4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 52
Yeah, I can see why you quit while you were ahead. :yes: That sucker coulda blown up in a heartbeat. Great job with a very challenging piece of wood, Wayne. :thumb:

Looks awesome Wayne! I really like it.

When you have a piece that has as much 'character' as this one, do you significantly turn the speed down, or still run it at the same speed you would for a solid bowl?

Thanks,

Brian

BEAUTIFULL :thumb: love that stuff.Just a little hint when your turning pieces like that,turn the outside to completion,including sanding,then wrap it with that clear wrapping tape,then turn the inside,that how I turn em,works pretty good in preventing blowouts :)

Brian, i turned this at a fairly high speed to get a better cut and to help get past the voids. It was a challange. The piece was a little out of balance so i couldn't go to high. I am not sure what the rpms were when I finished turned it and when it started making some creaking and popping noises I decided that I had better quit.

Last edited:
Glad to see you and your work back Wayne, we were missing you!

As the bowl, well... it left me just speecheless, and I can't add anything to what has been said.:thumb::thumb: