Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: From out of the box swap

From out of the box swap

I want to take a moment, a serious moment, and thank all involved for the box swap. I have had a blast doing it. Mine might not be the best by far, but I gave it a shot. I learned something from this. Larry even mentioned it when he was here. "Challenge yourself". I by nature am a safe woodworker. I take the easy route. I don't build much but novelty items. I stepped up a bit, learned a new thing or two.

I can't wait for next year.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

That is one of the things that swaps are about Steve To experience, share, expand, and on and on. My personal experience is, 1. failure 2. regroup 3. rethink 4. rebuild. I did two things i have NEVER tried before, and of those One of those is on my final box, but I have also learned thru those experiences Yes GOOD TIMES. And next year YA commitment already started

+1000 on that.

I'd like to go through maybe 5 more iterations of the box I built, but I tried something out of my comfort zone. It may not be perfect, but at this point, it is what it is, and I learned a lot from it.

And I think that's the whole point. It's not a competition, but rather something that should push you to try something new, different, and expand on your skills.

I would agree with all that has been said above my post. It has been fun, educational and inspiring. One thing I did different, I envisioned this box while working in the barn building feed troughs for the calves. When it started coming together, I ran into difficulties that I eventually worked through. But one thing I have never done, I took the time to create a cardboard front cut out of the box in real size. On the back of this real size template is my cut list and I have continued listing suggestions and improvements. My wife is hoping I will make her and the girls a box like the one being sent. So, that means at least she likes it. I hope the person on the other end does also. So yes, I stepped out of my comfort zone a little with this project also. I shared this with Tom, a large portion of this has been put together at school while my students are turning their projects. It has been inspirational for some of my students. One student in fact researched and cut his girlfriend a heart bandsaw box for her Valentine's gift. It had a swinging lid on a post, multilayered, very nice. He is the oldest of two children in his family and his mother was a little disapointed in not being the recipeint of such a nice handmade gift! No, mine is not a turned or a bandsaw box, but another student turned a lidded box and did a bang up job on some great cedar. So thanks to all.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

You guys are making me feel bad. I didn't go out of my comfort zone. I did how ever master a part of box making that I have been looking to do for quite some time.
    Thanks Tom and everyone else that jumped in on this.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Thoits View Post
    You guys are making me feel bad. I didn't go out of my comfort zone.
    That's because you comport zone is in another zip code from mine.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one, feeling this way.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I will have to add to this. When I first read about this swap I did not want to enter for fear that I would disappoint someone (and I might still) However I took the plunge and made an effort. I learned along the way and actually had fun building it and I know it wont be my last. This forum and it's members are really a great bunch. I have enjoyed the "push" to challenge myself on this project. I look forward to the next project as well. Sooo what's it going to be??????
    It's not what you achieve in life...It's what you overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Baugues View Post
    Sooo what's it going to be??????
    Oh I have an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Oh I have an idea
    *face plant* NOOOOOOOOOO it took me a month to get inspired to build this project.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Oh but the next one might be soooooooooooo different.