From out of the box swap

Well, this whole thing was out of my comfort zone. Thank you for letting me participate. My box isn't perfect, but it's not bad--better than I had hoped it would be. And to whoever gets it (I know who you are :peek:) I want you to know that I really tried hard to make something nice. :eek: Most of what I've been doing is stuff I haven't done before, or at least all together in one project. It's a real confidence builder. THANK YOU.

However it came out, you know this is the best box you've ever made. There's a lot to be said for that. ;)

I dont understand why anyone is less than confident about their work.

This is not a competition, this is not a competition.

Its like a walkathon. Everyone who participates is a winner if they cross the finish line, and even those that tried, that couldnt make it are still winners.

This. A thousand times this. :thumb:

I wouldn't say I was really out of my comfort zone on this project, but I did try several new techniques and ideas, some of which worked and some of which failed miserably. After my first attempt ended up in splinters (literally), I went to my fallback plan. It still had some untried ideas in it, but they worked for the most part. As usual, there are several "oops" moments that were turned into spur of the moment design changes. My finished product has flaws, but then again, so do I. :p

My finished product has flaws, but then again, so do I. :p

I'm going to steal that quote... :thumb:

Yep, it's been fun. And it is all about the fellowship of doing it. The finished product in my mind is smallest part of the project.

I'd like to have done a better job on mine, but I learned some things, and I guarantee the next one will be better!

However is came out, you know this is the best box you've ever made. There's a lot to be said for that. ;)

This. A thousand times this. :thumb:

I wouldn't say I was really out of my comfort zone on this project, but I did try several new techniques and ideas, some of which worked and some of which failed miserably. After my first attempt ended up in splinters (literally), I went to my fallback plan. It still had some untried ideas in it, but they worked for the most part. As usual, there are several "oops" moments that were turned into spur of the moment design changes. My finished product has flaws, but then again, so do I. :p

You know, Vaughn, I think I used every tool I have :rofl: and a lot of them for the first time. I very rarely have a drink (like 2X per year), but I'm having one tonight. :champagne: oh yeah, and I've got to get a face shield. I'm so sick of the goggles, the respirator, the ear protection and all of it tangled in my hair.....:rofl:

This has been a unique adventure! The camaraderie here {IMO} is outstanding...unlike 'any' other sites I've visited. The fact that you are all
so open-armed in your acceptance of, and encouragement of allowing anyone, no matter their experience to participate, truly shows what a
wonderfully classy family this is! And I thank you all for allowing me the pleasure of your knowledge, friendliness and most of all, your
commitment to sharing all the ups & downs, good and bad in not only woodworking but life in general...& your sense of humor is a godsend {& may
my recipient have a double dose :rofl:}

Wow{shudder}...re-reading this, I had a flashback of my old dog 'Butkis' ...Ahhh but he was a good mutt just the same :D

This has been a unique adventure! The camaraderie here {IMO} is outstanding...unlike 'any' other sites I've visited. The fact that you are all
so open-armed in your acceptance of, and encouragement of allowing anyone, no matter their experience to participate, truly shows what a
wonderfully classy family this is! And I thank you all for allowing me the pleasure of your knowledge, friendliness and most of all, your
commitment to sharing all the ups & downs, good and bad in not only woodworking but life in general...& your sense of humor is a godsend {& may
my recipient have a double dose :rofl:}

Wow{shudder}...re-reading this, I had a flashback of my old dog 'Butkis' ...Ahhh but he was a good mutt just the same :D

you havnt meet me yet ken:) but its coming soon to town near yu:)

I've noticed one thing about the boxes that have been received so far; it seems that we put forth our best effort for those we know. If it were for a craft fair or fund raiser, who would know if "this or that" was right or wrong. I kinda like that about "us"...to those that matter, we give our best, or at least hope for it :thumb:

"My finished product has flaws, but then again, so do I."

Thanks Steve, Allen, Vaughn and everyone else for making me realize I did OK. I did challenge myself with a new technique and did the best I could for now. I hope to get better with practice. And boy do I have flaws.:D Everyone did such a great job on their boxes-congratulations to all.:thumb:

Don, I have no doubt you did better than 'OK'. ;) I don't think there's any of us here who made a perfect box, but I'm pretty sure we all gave it a good shot. :thumb:

Id like to say one thing, and then I wont post anymore in any swap threads since Im not a participent.

You all have to stop commenting on how you hope the receiver of your box will be satisfied, its not up to par as others.

Does anyone else think of lets say(only using her as an example, so please dont attack me or do I mean any disrespect), Cynthia?
The chutzpah(and its all good stuff) she has to enter in a box swap with all these veteran woodworkers and be willing to send her work to someone?
I dont care if the box is off square, or not as perfect as lets say Larrys box, because Cynthia's entry proves to me this is a woodworker.
Woodworking doesnt define my life, and probably not Cynthia's, but does define a bit of character showing people who arent afraid of a challenge.
(this is directed at all the people who stepped way out of their comfort zone or the beginners)

I wish, really wish I owned Les Elms first pen he ever turned.

I tip my hat to Cynthia, and all the others here that made the step to go outside their comfort zone and build something theyre not doing everyday or ever did for that matter.

Yep, Everyone should be proud for stepping up to the plate.

It's a swap, and the purpose of the swap is to get folks out in the shop making stuff and making it on a deadline. It's a skill building exercise and the biggest part of it is the camaraderie it generates!

Everyones box will be appreciated and no one needs to worry that it wont be gratefully accepted and appreciated! :thumb:

I do a similar thing with music every year with some buddies. I've promoted it before and it's called the rpmchallenge. There are some folks there that make some pretty good music, and then there is me and my friends...:rofl: It's not about the end product, it's about the process for this one my friends.

That's why we call it a swap and not a contest! So don't be shy, get out your hammer and nails next time and do your best. Be creative. Be Serious. Be silly with your box. But just do it! :thumb: