From out of the box swap

Family Friendly remember?

I'll see if I can get Sharon to make something for the next swap.

Seriously, folks should not be intimidated, but rather use it as inspiration to try something they are not comfortable with. Maybe you have to try a couple of times, but that's all part of the proces....

Exactly Brent! This stuff isn't easy and those who make it look that way have hundred if not thousands of hours of experience. The only way to improve is to ask questions and practice. We should have a "I suck at _____" swap someday. Swap what we each do the worst at :rofl::rofl:. This is a good way to practice with a little pressure added on. We al know that even though there shouldn't be, there is a bit of pressure making something for one of our own than for the guy on the street. I really want to try a wing like Doc did...maybe that will be my inspiration for next year? :huh:

This is a good way to practice with a little pressure added on. We al know that even though there shouldn't be, there is a bit of pressure making something for one of our own than for the guy on the street.

Right on Jim! The reason we do this is to help us all improve our skills and to provide inspiration for the next swap. I really like the fact that this one is for both flat and spinny. Maybe someone did a flat one this time. Maybe next time spinny? Or vice versa? This one really is special as it's giving a lot of ideas on both sides.

To be sure, there's no such thing as a completely original idea. Steal what you like! but put a spin on it to make it your own. That's what creativity is all about. Sure, every now and then someone comes up with a completely original idea, but there is nothing wrong with stealing an idea and putting your own spin on it...:thumb:

I'm one of those who constantly belittle my work, not as much as ashamed or embarrassed but more like irritated, as patience is not one of my virtues. That and the 'wide screen in zoom mode' of my minds eye, always projects astounding craftsmanship that somehow get's outta focus by the time it reaches my hands. My main goal currently is to force myself to slow down and not to be in such a hurry to see the end result.

This swap along with others, will be cool to look back on in the future...to witness the skills{mine as well as others} as they continue to grow...
similar to my neighbors, who listened to numerous agonizing hours of me learning guitar, nowadays the non-playing ones{:D} think I'm pretty good...:rofl:

I can't wait to participate in more of these...not too often a guy like me with limited skills can say his work has traveled across the country :thumb:

Right on Allen ! I am usually overly critical of my work because I think I can do better. I was pleased with my entry until my gift showed up, and then all the others with all the extras-it made me feel a little sheepish if you know what I mean. But I did a good job on mine, and will do even better next time.

Thanks for the encouragement Allen.:thumb:

And Cynthia-I wanted one of those tools also! (I do have one of the story tapes from last year;) .)

Ken
Glenn has me pretty well cured of the, "...such a hurry to see the end result." bit. He kept reminding me that it is a hobby. I am supposed to (and now am) be having fun---even when it is putting the tools away. Who would have thought that I could say something like, "...having fun---even when putting tools away."

The great thing is that I now have fun with any part of the woodworking process. The process is a part of that enjoyment. The result is the, "icing on the cake" part. Well sometime, (unfortunately, frequently) the result is the, chewing gum on the shoe sole part.

Whatever the result, the trip is always great.

Enjoy it,

Jim

p.s. Just in case you have-not noticed it-----I'm a bit of a type "A".

Last edited: