Can I turn a one piece wheel rim from 2x10

Tom Baugues

I want wooden spoke wheels for a cart I'm building but I also want to use rubber bicycle tires and tubes so the wheels would roll softly. I'm trying to come up with a way to make some wooden wheel rims so that I can mount a 12 inch bicycle type tire and tube on it. The rims need to be about 8 3/4 inch rims. One method that has come to mind is to take a piece of 2x10 and mount it on the lathe and turn it to same shape as a metal bicycle rim then cut away the inside of the rim and make and fit wooden spokes and a hub in the center. Does anyone know how a 2x10 chunk of wood will respond when turned down like that. Would it warp?

I think you would have problems with the grain changing directions making the rim weak in certain sections of the wheel. Plus if it was one piece, I'm not sure how you would get the spokes and hubs in after the fact.

I believe the 'old timey' wooden wheels were constructed in segments joined with a dowel in between the sections.

You could probably do it in 4 quarters easily enough...

I'm with Brent...By using segments, you can have face (or edge) grain hitting the ground. Four would do; six or more would be better, I think.

nguncart.40c.jpg

attachment.php

This might give you a start, although they make no claims of structural capabilities...

http://www.firehow.com/2010070516741/how-to-make-a-wood-wagon-wheel.html

Attachments

• Wooden Wheel.jpg
    Wooden Wheel.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 82
I have seen those plans but they do not allow for a tube and tire (which I really want). I might still be able to do it in sections and fit the spokes as I go. Frank Fusco was kind enough to send me some plans for a wheel making jig that will help in the spoke fitting process. My biggest concern is getting a wooden rim that will accept a tube and tire.

I'd think you'd need to turn whatever channel/bead you need on the outside edge of the rim to hold a tire and tube. I"d be concerned about a bead on a wooden rim holding up to the forces from the inflated tube and tire, though.

How about a steel bicycle rim built into a wooden wheel?

If your lathe is big enough, I'd say build the wheel in segments first, glue it up, then turn it so that you could put an inner tub and tire on it. You'll need to make the rims pretty thick though to hold the tire in.

tom, check out my model t wheel restoration project in the spinny projects area. it may give you some ideas on fitting the spokes and hubs. on the model t wheel, the hub and spokes were all press fitted into the steel felloe.