Branding Iron Tips Part Deux

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, having had the opportunity to use my branding Iron, Here are a few more tips.

I found it nearly impossible to get a good even brand using the thing hand held. Seems Like I just couldn't get a nice even brand without rocking it and getting some over burn from the brass head.

So I thought I'd take the head off, thread the end of it and put it on the drill press.

The only problem is that I think they must use some permanent lock tite or something on the handle they ship. When I got my handle off the block, I had managed to take a number of threads with it. Not a big deal, but it would have been just a lot easy to hack saw the wooden handle off the thing.

So Here's what I found works really well for me.
  1. Chuck it up in the drill press
  2. Heat it up.
  3. Use a piece of scrap wood to test it on first. Most likely the first few burns will be too hot, but after one or two practice once you can move on to the finished product.
  4. Bring it down on to the finished product. I like it when I see just the smallest little wisp of smoke. PRobably only touch it down for a second or two.
  5. Don't push down too hard

attachment.php

Attachments

• FWW-4141.jpg
    FWW-4141.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 82
So uh, do you turn the drill on while you do this:rofl::rofl:

Nice fix Brent. I have the electric one, and it is hard to get an even burn, also. Crap, I forgot to use it for the box:doh::doh:

That was my quick and dirty way of doing it. I'm actually thinking of making a little spring loaded platform thing for it. Similar to the threaded insert jigs...