Fiskars X27 36" Super Splitting Axe

My son has been wanting an X box. I told him that I wasn't going to pay for one and if he wanted one he would have to earn the money. He's 10 and the opportunities for employment for a 10 year old are rather bleak.:rofl:

We live next to one of the larger ATV/OHV areas in the region. There is actually a camp ground next door. I grew up with the owner and he mentioned a few months ago that the campers are always asking him where they can get firewood. I told my son that if he would help we would split some wood and he could try and sale it to the campers. I mentioned it to the owner the other day and told him what it was for and he told me that he would be glad to tell them for me.

I've split firewood on and off for years and I've always split with a 15# monster maul and and 8# maul. I was talking to my brother in law the other day who cuts a lot and he mentioned the fiskars splitting axe. He told me that he used a friend of his 28" splitter and loved it, except it was a little short. He told me they had a 36" now and he was thinking about ordering one. I've always had good luck with fiskars stuff so I ordered the 36" splitter. It weights in at 6.28 pounds. I really like this splitting axe. You wouldn't think a 6# axe would be of much use. Man this thing slices through wood like butter. On big rounds I'll start with the 15#er and then switch to the axe. It makes really quick work of the wood and I don't get nearly as tired. I can split a lot longer at one go. If you burn wood or ever just split for the exercise I'd definitely recommend the fiskars splitting ax. I've been having fun splitting with my son and I hope he learns a little work ethic along the way.

Here's the link to the fiskars site

http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yar...litting-Axe-36

That's a pretty sweet looking piece of work. Looks a lot 'cooler' than my generic dontknowwhatitweighs maul... :thumb:

We got our wood already split, but do have to split the kindling...

Wood was split for many-many years with a not-very-heavy double bitted axe. The narrower blade and speed of impact is what makes it an effective splitter. Has something to do with the square of the cube and velocity of the wattizits. Really, a lighter but faster blade can do more than a heavy slow maul. I tried using a maul but the wood, and maul, just bounced back at me. Sold it cheap.
Hey, good on you for making an entrepreneur out of your son. And good on him for doing it. Hope he prospers with his new enterprise.