Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I know why I need

Angry Now I know why I need

to make me a bowl steady. I was making the final pass (very light finishing cut) on the inside of a bowl of spalted Maple crotch. All was going well. The bowl was singing to me (wall thickness was about 3/16"), but I wasn't alarmed. Then when the bowl gouge (Ellswworth grind) was about 5/16" from the rim... POW! Blew a 2" x 4" chunk out at the rim. I wasn't removing that much material (1/32" maybe), and I was taking it easy. All I had left to do was sand and finish. Needless to say, I was really... (expletive deleted)! LOML had already claimed it so I brought it in to show her. She was nearly as upset as I, but then said, "Okay, just turn it into a high rimmed platter and I'll use it for candles."

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hit the thrift stores for a used pair of roller blades.

BTDT feel you pain dude!!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    ...Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hit the thrift stores for a used pair of roller blades.
    Sorry to hear of the bowl explosion. Those suck. I had good luck finding wheels and bearings on eBay. When I have a bit more time, I'll post pics of the steady I finished up last weekend.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Burt View Post
    "Okay, just turn it into a high rimmed platter and I'll use it for candles."
    I suggest you keep her, of course you explained that with a bowl steady this may well not have happened?

That's too bad. Sounds like it was going to be a nice bowl. I've never used a bowl steady but I'm sure I'll have something like that happen someday to convince me to make one too.

As promised, here are a few pics of my steady.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sorry to hear about the explosion. If you check the link that Vaughn give you will see my bowl steady for my big and little lathe. Very similar to Vaughn's.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

So what actually happens? Does the bowl start to flex & when the tool is introduced even for a shallow cut very carefully done catches on the section that flexed outward toward the tool & bang explodes?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I made 2...one is bowl steady and the other is for spindles and vase.

Bart, when you make a cut, you are always putting some pressure on the wood..no matter how light you make it and how sharp your tool is. On a thin bowl (more for platter) this is critical. Signs of impending trouble (for me) is the resonating sound. The steady helps releave/counter that pressure and minimize any flex.
    -------------------------

Dario

http://www.aoturnings.com/

I always switch to a sharp scraper when I get that thin. I havn't had a serious catch since.