View Poll Results: Did you use OSB for a box in the swap this year.

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never Considered it for even a second. It's an affront to the dignity of the box swap!

9 50.00%
  • Thought about it, but didn't.

3 16.67%
  • You kidding? I thought it was a requirement!

3 16.67%
  • It's the only material I used!!!

3 16.67%

Thread: Just want to get a handle on the OSB thing

Hybrid View

Just want to get a handle on the OSB thing

So Just putting up an anonymous poll to get a feel for the pranksters out there.

How many of you used some of that fancy flat OSB (Original Stringy Burl) for a box in the box swap this year?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Flat OSB? Not such a thing made. Do you know how much sanding it takes to sand that stuff flat ?
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

I had full intentions of using some on my box project (in a way that would not look like OSB), but when I ran into trouble with Plan A, I shelved the OSB idea, since it wouldn't have worked for Plan B.

Last night, I ended up making something out of the OSB I'd prepped for Plan A. I'll post pics in a few days.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Actually.....

There is a premium 3/4" OSB made for floors that is waterproof and stable as all heck. Can be underwater for weeks and still stays flat/no swelling. I've thought it may make a good base for a veneered project. I use it on all the houses that I build, it saves me money in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Southwood View Post
    Flat OSB? Not such a thing made. Do you know how much sanding it takes to sand that stuff flat ?
    No sanding just a quite a bit of filler....

living in Cabrils, a small town 20Km. away from Barcelona, Spain
    Personally I think that it is a material that could lead to some interesting and pleasant results. Not easy though, and not so simplistic as the pic you show Brent.

If you happen to have the book "Sam Maloof woodworker" he made several pieces in his early days which are very digne, and not because they are made by him.

In a german woodworking book I have from the forties, they also show some unexpected applications of that material.

So in these sort of challenges is were creativity thrives.

To see what can be achieved why not organize a contest where it should be compulsory to use that material?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    Personally I think that it is a material that could lead to some interesting and pleasant results. Not easy though, and not so simplistic as the pic you show Brent.

If you happen to have the book "Sam Maloof woodworker" he made several pieces in his early days which are very digne, and not because they are made by him.

In a german woodworking book I have from the forties, they also show some unexpected applications of that material.

So in these sort of challenges is were creativity thrives.

To see what can be achieved why not organize a contest where it should be compulsory to use that material?
    That's actually a pretty interesting idea....

decided not to Skew the results... since I'm on the sidelines of the swap.
    -Ned