HF egg

Jim Burr

Please note that due to peer pressure, I am re-naming this piece...it's now a teardrop.:rofl::p:rolleyes:
I have a couple of these curly maply blanks that, at first look are a little blah. David Keller did a great egg shape a couple of months ago so I thought I'd have a lash at it. 6 x 4.5 with a 1.25" opening and 1l4" walls. This is the first piece that I turned wet, DNA'd, wrapped and finish turned...guess it works! This was originally headed for the burn pile. After the 6th coat of Tung oil it finally started to build and show some figure. Stopped at 10 coats. C & C always needed, usually used :wave:

Attachments

• maple HF1.jpg
    maple HF1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 34
  • maple HF2.jpg
    maple HF2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Very cool, Jim. :thumb: Looks more like a teardrop than an egg, but it's a cool shape whatever you call it. The finish looks super, too. Did you use real tung oil or "tung oil finish"?

Very cool, Jim. :thumb: Looks more like a teardrop than an egg, but it's a cool shape whatever you call it. The finish looks super, too. Did you use real tung oil or "tung oil finish"?

Ahhh...good point...Formbys Tung Oil Finish. Thought it was a mistake until I got to coat #6. It really sucked up the oil, but once it was done soaking up...the grain really popped. It was either that or the marshmallow generator :rofl::rofl:

Beautiful job Jim. I like the form of it and that grain is really popping. I've never used tung oil before, might have to pick some up. Do you have to buff it at all? or just have a smooth surface to start?

Thank's Darren, it's Formby's low gloss. I love oil on high figure pieces. I have an Armstrong Buffing system. It is made up of 2 parts, an old T shirt and my hand :rofl::rofl:. Sorry...all my pain meds are making me crazy!! I did knock it down with 0000 steel wool every other coat, but that's it.