What kind of bug did this?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
One 2x6 in my kitchen sub floor has insect damage. There is no other board showing damage. No signs of life. We've never had bug problems in this house. And, on top of everything else, we live in high desert and termites are very, very, rare here.

So, my guess is it looked like this when it was installed 37 years ago, shame on the builder. However, I thought I'd check with the group, knowing we have a bunch of very bright people here, and see if anyone thinks the same or thinks I have a problem.:huh:
DSC_0072.jpgDSC_0073.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

i would say that its made from a grub that is around 1" long rennie and is common in softwoods..but it isnt termite in my opinion.. and doesnt look like powder post beetles either to large of holes and to much eatun..

Could've been Carpenter Ants. They'd have only eaten the wood while it was wet, though. Probably departed when the wood dried out - maybe even before it was installed in the house.

I'd say one that's been dead a long long time ago. I don't think you have anything to worry about. That was done by some kind of borer, likely in the larve stage.

Jim's probably right about it being from a boring insect, especially if there is a little fine saw dust there with it. I suppose you could spray it with some borax treatment if you're concerned that it may be active.

Rennie,

I must caution you here!!! If this was in my house I don't think I could even sleep at night!

This is a true emergency.

This is caused by an introduced species of beetle from Europe. While rare, if a infestation like this is found it must be addressed IMEDIATLY!!! This beetle's larva start to work on the wood then go into hibernation for 5 years. They then come out of hibernation and really go to town on all surrounding wood structures eating up to 100 times their body weight in wood per hour.

There is only 1 sure fire way to stop the spread of this horrid pest,

You must IMIDIATLY purchase a new Lathe, new Bandsaw, new Tablesaw, and a new DC system (minimum 5hp).

While they do not have to be purchased in this order, they must be purchased on the same weekend and then they must be used or at least gloated over for 15 min a day for a 30 day period to stop the infestation. You will then, by the end of the 30 days have had to use all said machines to make 1 project and that will kill off the infestation 100%!

Please hurry!

Honestly, that damage was done before the wood was even cut in my opinion, I wouldn't worry abit about it. I might just change it out for giggles if it was my house though.

I see this a lot when we are cutting down trees. Looks just like ant damage we see in the dead standing trees here. Not saying is it isn't something else tho, just that it looks like what I see here.

Rennie,

I must caution you here!!! If this was in my house I don't think I could even sleep at night!

This is caused by an introduced species of beetle from Europe. While rare, if a infestation like this is found it must be addressed IMEDIATLY!!! This beetle's larva start to work on the wood then go into hibernation for 5 years. They then come out of hibernation and really go to town on all surrounding wood structures eating up to 100 times their body weight in wood per hour.

You must IMIDIATLY purchase a new Lathe, new Bandsaw, new Tablesaw, and a new DC system (minimum 5hp).

While they do not have to be purchased in this order, they must be purchased on the same weekend and then they must be used or at least gloated over for 15 min a day for a 30 day period to stop the infestation. You will then, by the end of the 30 days have had to use all said machines to make 1 project and that will kill off the infestation 100%!

Please hurry!

Quick, where can I get some of those bugs ?? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm going to be absolutely no help whatsoever, but I turned a bowl a sort while back that had holes very much like that... I know that likelyhood of the bowl and your beam being of the same wood is totally unlikely unless your builder was really desperate for something to make a beam from... my bowl was Hackberry... what ever the bug was, if he's still alive is permanently sealed in several coats of CA and many coats of wipe on poly... Like others, don't think there much to worry about now.

Looks exactly like carpenter ant damage. Nothing to worry about because if they were still active the adjoining boards would look the same. Had to have been in the board when it was sawn and if the wood was kiln dried they met their demise then. The only concern for that kind of wood is it's structural integrity.

Wormy wood flooring is quite popular these days.:D

Rennie,

Please hurry!

Honestly, that damage was done before the wood was even cut in my opinion, I wouldn't worry abit about it. I might just change it out for giggles if it was my house though.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's what I'm going to tell LOML about the spiders in my shop.....:D