Thread: Oil ratio

Oil ratio

Since I'm cutting turning blanks, asking here sounded right I have a 40:1 mix chainsaw. The 2 cycle oil bottle (Pro-mix) is 6.4 fl oz that says it will mix for 16, 32, 40 and 50:1. It also says "Add entire bottle for 2 gal of gas." Soooooo...in a 2 gal can, with 2 gal of gas, how freakin' much oil do I use for a 40:1 mix
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 04-02-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

3.2 oz oil per gallon for 40:1 mixture Jim http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/a...-mixture-chart

Sweet!!!! Thanks you Tom

Tom beat me to it. Yep 2 gallons per 6.4 oz bottle.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

cornfusing as all get out ain't it.... I have a 40:1 mixture for the chain saw... a 32:1 mixture for the Ryobi weed eater.. no oil in the gas for the Toro weed eater.. 32:1 for the Mantis tiller, no oil gas mixture for the Craftsman tiller... at my age, it gets harder and harder to keep it all straight.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Being a Southern California, suburbs guy I just pour the oil in straight---no gasoline.

Of course my chainsaw is electric. The forests are so thick here in So. Cal. that there is no need to leave home to saw lumber.

Actually, the tree-trimming guys and residents are very glad to bring me their cut-down, sawed-up, trees. It reduces their fees at the dump. Myrna and I have been heating with wood for over 50 years. I did purchase a little wood once (actually I traded for it) other than that it has been freebee.

I used to saw it to length for the stoves (18.5 in.) and split it (wedges and sledge hammer) when I got the 12-30 in. diameter sections. Then I bought a HF 10 ton, electric, hydraulic log splitter. Man, that was love at first sight until I started needing longer belts.

I've been going to the gym 2 to 6 times a week for several years now. The other day I tried to split a piece about 18 in in diameter. Not only could I not hit the wedge with the sledge hammer---I was darned lucky to hit the chopping block (30 in. in diameter).

I figured swinging a sledge was like riding a bicycle---you never forget. Boy, was I wrong!

Seems like I remember a recent thread about wandering off topic.

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    cornfusing as all get out ain't it.... I have a 40:1 mixture for the chain saw... a 32:1 mixture for the Ryobi weed eater.. no oil in the gas for the Toro weed eater.. 32:1 for the Mantis tiller, no oil gas mixture for the Craftsman tiller... at my age, it gets harder and harder to keep it all straight.
    I run 32:1 in everything including my saws that call for 50:1. It makes it easy, and it has never caused a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    ... 32:1 for the Mantis tiller....
    You sure? My Mantis calls for 50:1.

I guess I'm lucky, 'cause may Mantis, Stihl backpack blower, Homelite small blower, Stihl chainsaw, Toro snow blower, and Stihl string trimmer all call for 50:1, so I only need one can.

BTW, I use the Stihl oil, pre-measured in one gallon sized (2.8 oz), and I use Stabil in everything. I've never had a Spring starting problem (or Winter for the snow blower).
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    You sure? My Mantis calls for 50:1.

I guess I'm lucky, 'cause may Mantis, Stihl backpack blower, Homelite small blower, Stihl chainsaw, Toro snow blower, and Stihl string trimmer all call for 50:1, so I only need one can.

BTW, I use the Stihl oil, pre-measured in one gallon sized (2.8 oz), and I use Stabil in everything. I've never had a Spring starting problem (or Winter for the snow blower).
    Told ya I's having trouble keepin' it straight....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

This explains why I had to take algebra 3 times to get out of college