Oil ratio

Jim Burr

Since I'm cutting turning blanks, asking here sounded right:rolleyes: I have a 40:1 mix chainsaw. The 2 cycle oil bottle (Pro-mix) is 6.4 fl oz that says it will mix for 16, 32, 40 and 50:1. It also says "Add entire bottle for 2 gal of gas." Soooooo...in a 2 gal can, with 2 gal of gas, how freakin' much oil do I use for a 40:1 mix :dunno::huh::dunno::huh::bang:

Last edited:
cornfusing as all get out ain't it.... I have a 40:1 mixture for the chain saw... a 32:1 mixture for the Ryobi weed eater.. no oil in the gas for the Toro weed eater.. 32:1 for the Mantis tiller, no oil gas mixture for the Craftsman tiller... at my age, it gets harder and harder to keep it all straight.

Being a Southern California, suburbs guy I just pour the oil in straight---no gasoline.

Of course my chainsaw is electric. The forests are so thick here in So. Cal. that there is no need to leave home to saw lumber.

Actually, the tree-trimming guys and residents are very glad to bring me their cut-down, sawed-up, trees. It reduces their fees at the dump. Myrna and I have been heating with wood for over 50 years. I did purchase a little wood once (actually I traded for it) other than that it has been freebee.

I used to saw it to length for the stoves (18.5 in.) and split it (wedges and sledge hammer) when I got the 12-30 in. diameter sections. Then I bought a HF 10 ton, electric, hydraulic log splitter. Man, that was love at first sight until I started needing longer belts.

I've been going to the gym 2 to 6 times a week for several years now. The other day I tried to split a piece about 18 in in diameter. Not only could I not hit the wedge with the sledge hammer---I was darned lucky to hit the chopping block (30 in. in diameter).

I figured swinging a sledge was like riding a bicycle---you never forget. Boy, was I wrong!

Seems like I remember a recent thread about wandering off topic.

Enjoy,

Jim

cornfusing as all get out ain't it.... I have a 40:1 mixture for the chain saw... a 32:1 mixture for the Ryobi weed eater.. no oil in the gas for the Toro weed eater.. 32:1 for the Mantis tiller, no oil gas mixture for the Craftsman tiller... at my age, it gets harder and harder to keep it all straight.

I run 32:1 in everything including my saws that call for 50:1. It makes it easy, and it has never caused a problem.

... 32:1 for the Mantis tiller....

You sure? My Mantis calls for 50:1.

I guess I'm lucky, 'cause may Mantis, Stihl backpack blower, Homelite small blower, Stihl chainsaw, Toro snow blower, and Stihl string trimmer all call for 50:1, so I only need one can.

BTW, I use the Stihl oil, pre-measured in one gallon sized (2.8 oz), and I use Stabil in everything. I've never had a Spring starting problem (or Winter for the snow blower).

You sure? My Mantis calls for 50:1.

I guess I'm lucky, 'cause may Mantis, Stihl backpack blower, Homelite small blower, Stihl chainsaw, Toro snow blower, and Stihl string trimmer all call for 50:1, so I only need one can.

BTW, I use the Stihl oil, pre-measured in one gallon sized (2.8 oz), and I use Stabil in everything. I've never had a Spring starting problem (or Winter for the snow blower).

Told ya I's having trouble keepin' it straight....:D:D