Thread: mahogany finish

mahogany finish

I have been asked to make a pen for a musician with our Symphony orchestra, with the possibility of furnishing the entire orchestra... so I ordered some mahogany blanks, as she is a violinist, but before I start I want to replicate the rich brown/red tones of a violin, but the wood is almost yellow. Did I just buy the wrong wood, or is there an old trusted recipe for that beautiful glow you see when picking up a violin?

did you order real mahogany? I use it time to time for furniture, its always reddish/browns, never really any yellows. Im sure to finish a pen, although I know little about pen finishes, once you make a pen, applying 4-6 coats of wipe on poly should give you a nice look I believe you are looking for. rich , bold color and nice shine.

I wonder if the mahogany you got is the sapwood instead of the heartwood?

Ron, PM me your mailing address. I've got a small piece of mahogany that's too twisted to do any decent flatwork with, but it'd make good pen blanks. It's yours if you want it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Sounds like you got Philippine Mahogany it is real light. Try to find Honduras mahogany it is a deeper darker red color and more like what you are looking for.
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Ron to get a rich clarity of Mahogany I'd use a water stain. I'd just dip the pen in the stain blow dry it and dip it again to get a good stain. Then sand and you will probably have to dip and repeat the step.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

thanks for the ideas and tips,guys...when I get into summer mode and bring my freezables back out into my shed to attempt some woodworking , I will try a piece of what I bought with some of your ideas...and will look for some honduran if that doesn't work. It figures that I would buy the wrong stuff...oh well, will give it a whirl. Thanks Vaughn, will drop you a note if this doesn't pan out. Always get good ideas here...thanks: