Is this to late??

Chuck Hanger

Just got this 24" piece of cherry from the fellow that supplys wood to me for my wood burner. Want to get a jet mini in the spring (March or April) and was wondering if it is to late to save any of this chunk of wood. It is 9" in diamater and 24" long. Any chance of some good wood in there?
Thanks,
Chuck

Forgot

Forgot to post the photo.

Cut it up and find out! My FIL gave me a log of walnut that was well seasoned and although it had some big checks, I was able to get a good bit of pretty wood from it. Cut it take pics and show us what you find! I'm sure you can at least get some pen blanks out of it!

No pic to be seen.

Not sure what's happening. Someone, I think Greg Cook, pointed out photobucket, which is a free online place to store pics and you can link from there. That's how I do all mine!

Hi Chuck. Here's a tutorial that should help with the picture posting. This method is for when you have a picture on your computer and want to upload it to the Family Woodworking server. It really is easy once you've gone through the process a time or two.

For cases where the picture is already uploaded somewhere else on the web, then you can use the "Insert Image" option. Note that when you use the "Insert Image" option, you need to enter the URL (web address) where the picture resides.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Going to the wood pile is often times an adventure and takes me longer than most. Each piece I select gets a good examination to see if a little project is in there. Crappy stuff burns well and then the "looks like a possible turning project there" gets tossed to the side. Often there is the "Hmmmmmm? perhaps a bit of Spalting going on" those get additional treatment. the there are "oh, nice straight grained piece, I need that for..." and those get carried to the house. If SHMBO goes for the wood, I watch as she feeds the fireplace to make sure she doesn't distroy a future work of art. Like I said Firewood is a new experience here at this house.

Why not use it, re-saw it or turn it, If it is a crappy piece, then burn it, nothing wasted but your time.

I know that my wood pile has in several different stacks, Walnut, Sasafrass, Ash, Oak, Yew, Cherry, Birch, Osage Orange, Locast, and Olive, along with Poplar and as of today, Magnolia.... Some brought by the Wood guy and some picked up by me.

Last edited: