Old Fouler in good condition

Well Frank almost had a night mare happen. I shot 40 gr today and it did good. I would have killed the bird. Then I loaded 60 gr and KA_BOOM !!!!!!!!!
My ears rang out and went to look at the target plenty of shot in the target but not what I would like. So I went and cleaned the gun and I was getting ready to load with 50 gr and noticed the Nipple was missing. The 60 gr charge blew the nipple. Now I realized why Everything went black when I shot. My friend also said something was not right about that shop. So I called my friend Keith and he will bore it out and tap a new nipple for me plus bore a chock in the barrel. I am glad for them angles watching over me today. :)

Well Frank almost had a night mare happen. I shot 40 gr today and it did good. I would have killed the bird. Then I loaded 60 gr and KA_BOOM !!!!!!!!!
My ears rang out and went to look at the target plenty of shot in the target but not what I would like. So I went and cleaned the gun and I was getting ready to load with 50 gr and noticed the Nipple was missing. The 60 gr charge blew the nipple. Now I realized why Everything went black when I shot. My friend also said something was not right about that shop. So I called my friend Keith and he will bore it out and tap a new nipple for me plus bore a chock in the barrel. I am glad for them angles watching over me today. :)

Uh-Oh!!! Glad you are alright. That is scary.
Sounds like <50 gr. is where you need to be.

Just spoke with my friend who was with me and he mentioned that I put 4F in the nipple and some may have gotten caught up in the treading which could have caused the blow out.

That is beyond a major stretch. Internal pressure, worn or improperly fit nipple threads had to be the cause.
But, you really do not need to charge the nipple with 4f if ignition has not been a problem.

Last edited:
When we took a good look at the treading we did notice that the treads were worn down a great deal on one side which is most likely the culprit. I made sure the nipple was seated properly and tight. 40 Gr did good but 60 WOOOO