Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Kitchen/bathroom cabinet questions

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

General Kitchen/bathroom cabinet questions

I have some new questions about cabinets. Now that my box for the box swap is done, I can think about other things and go back to asking questions!.....

I have a variety of questions, so I'll list them here, and I welcome input from any/all who have an opinion.

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have?

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width?

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?

That's all I can think of for the moment....THANKS
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?

Yes

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?

Yes, it is. Finish them before you put them together.

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have?

After.

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).

Seen it, haven't done it. Wouldn't. But you could, in that climate...

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width?

Plywood. Always. Without a second thought.

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?

Do you have a shaper, *and* a power feeder? Those would make it easy. Without them, it gets pretty iffy. Oh, you could use a router table, and learn to cove cut on a table saw. But, geez...

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?

Others can answer that better than I...

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    I have some new questions about cabinets. Now that my box for the box swap is done, I can think about other things and go back to asking questions!.....

I have a variety of questions, so I'll list them here, and I welcome input from any/all who have an opinion.

Yes

I did mine assembled, if another time I would leave the back off, finish the inside then install the back.

Hang them before and remove before assembly, then re-install.

That the beauty of things, sure, make them anyway that makes one happy.

Yes, cabinet grade plywood

I would use the same wood if staining, if painting it does not matter.

I purchased mine from
    http://woodworkerswarehouse.com/

I have only done one kitchen so more experienced may/will have better answers, but here are mine

#1 yes it is most common for the lower cabinets to have no top other than the countertops applied.

#2 My shop uses a prefinished plywood that has a Ultra Violet cured Polyurethane on it. We don't have to finish the inside but if you were to do that finish it before assembly.
    #3 We hang the doors as we assemble the cabinets, before installation. The hinges we use have plenty of adjustment and allow us to do that. If your hinges don't have a lot of adjustment you might should wait until installation.
    #4 Seen it don't like it either.
    #5 We use only plywood for carcasses and solid wood for faceframes and doors. It don't make sense ($) to make the carcass out of solid wood.
    #6 We have just recently started making our own crown.
    #7 We buy from a wholesale house. Louis and Company
    I once heard that cats and women will do darn well what they please and that men and dogs would do well to accept it and just go on.

+ on the UV pre-finished plywood for the carcass. Pre-finish is much less work and it's a good finish. It's really slick so interesting to work with, but if you have a couple people to handle the full sheets it's not so bad.

I think brent posted this before for hardware :

http://wwhardware.com/

Pretty good prices. You can also look for a local cabinet supply shop that sells to the public, might be one in your area.

Richelieu Hardware
    http://www.richelieu.com/produit/ind...=An&id=1001759

They are a wholesaler but it's not too difficult to get stuff without having a business. A little bs goes a long way.
    They have an outlet in Victoria.
    616 Hillside Avenue Unit 8

Originally Posted by Cynthia White

Woodworkers Hardware is on I use a lot. Good prices, lots of choices, and Customer Service that rivals Lee Valley's.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?Yes that is the norm.

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?I finished my kitchen cabinets after they were put together. That had more to do with my budget severly changing other wise I would have used prefinished ply for the interiors.

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have? Yes I always hang my door and drawer fronts before I install them and even before I finish them just to make sure the fit is right and something didn't get changed that I didn't happen to notice

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).Yes I have and it depends on the look your going for.

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width? Use plywood where possible so you don't have to deal with expansion and contraction issues.

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?I make my own on my router table and just did the crown for my kitchen. I don't like wasting my time trying to find something I like in the wood I'm working in at the time plus If I ever need a replacement piece I don't have to worry about it being discontinued.

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?Depends on what your looking for but woodworkers hardware has decent prices and I've used Grizzly lately as they even beat woodworkers hardware prices for the same merchandise.

My answers are in red.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    What thickness of ply to you guys use?

Do you use something thinner (cheaper) for the backs?

When might you *not* finish the inside?

In any houses I've lived in, the shelves were always something slick...melamine? Is that considered a cheap way to do shelves?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I used 3/4" for the sides and shelves, and 1/2" for the backs on mine. 1/2" for sides and 1/4" for backs can be used also. I just opted for, well as Larry would say, STOUT so I am not in doubt