General Kitchen/bathroom cabinet questions

I have some new questions about cabinets. Now that my box for the box swap is done, I can think about other things and go back to asking questions!.....:D :highfive:

I have a variety of questions, so I'll list them here, and I welcome input from any/all who have an opinion. :D

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have?

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width?

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?

That's all I can think of for the moment....THANKS

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?

Yes

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?

Yes, it is. Finish them before you put them together.

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have?

After.

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).

Seen it, haven't done it. Wouldn't. But you could, in that climate...

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width?

Plywood. Always. Without a second thought.

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?

Do you have a shaper, *and* a power feeder? Those would make it easy. Without them, it gets pretty iffy. Oh, you could use a router table, and learn to cove cut on a table saw. But, geez...

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?

Others can answer that better than I...

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Bill

I have some new questions about cabinets. Now that my box for the box swap is done, I can think about other things and go back to asking questions!.....:D :highfive:

I have a variety of questions, so I'll list them here, and I welcome input from any/all who have an opinion. :D

Yes

I did mine assembled, if another time I would leave the back off, finish the inside then install the back.

Hang them before and remove before assembly, then re-install.

That the beauty of things, sure, make them anyway that makes one happy.

Yes, cabinet grade plywood

I would use the same wood if staining, if painting it does not matter.

I purchased mine from
http://woodworkerswarehouse.com/

I have only done one kitchen so more experienced may/will have better answers, but here are mine:)

#1 yes it is most common for the lower cabinets to have no top other than the countertops applied.

#2 My shop uses a prefinished plywood that has a Ultra Violet cured Polyurethane on it. We don't have to finish the inside but if you were to do that finish it before assembly.
#3 We hang the doors as we assemble the cabinets, before installation. The hinges we use have plenty of adjustment and allow us to do that. If your hinges don't have a lot of adjustment you might should wait until installation.
#4 Seen it don't like it either.
#5 We use only plywood for carcasses and solid wood for faceframes and doors. It don't make sense ($) to make the carcass out of solid wood.
#6 We have just recently started making our own crown.
#7 We buy from a wholesale house. Louis and Company

+ on the UV pre-finished plywood for the carcass. Pre-finish is much less work and it's a good finish. It's really slick so interesting to work with, but if you have a couple people to handle the full sheets it's not so bad.

I think brent posted this before for hardware :

http://wwhardware.com/

Pretty good prices. You can also look for a local cabinet supply shop that sells to the public, might be one in your area.

Originally Posted by Cynthia White

Woodworkers Hardware is on I use a lot. Good prices, lots of choices, and Customer Service that rivals Lee Valley's.

1. I don't think my lower kitchen cabinets have tops on the carcasses. Is it normal/common to build the lowers without tops (kitchen and bath), and then just have the counter cover them?Yes that is the norm.

2. Do you finish the inside after they are put together? Isn't it a bear to finish the inside of a cabinet?I finished my kitchen cabinets after they were put together. That had more to do with my budget severly changing other wise I would have used prefinished ply for the interiors.

3. Do you hang the doors of upper and lowers before or after installation, and does that depend on what kinds of hinges they have? Yes I always hang my door and drawer fronts before I install them and even before I finish them just to make sure the fit is right and something didn't get changed that I didn't happen to notice

4. Have you ever done or seen board and batten cabinet doors in a rustic setting like this? (BTW I think that's ugly, but it looks that way intentionally, I think).Yes I have and it depends on the look your going for.

5. I get the impression that everyone makes cabinets with plywood because of the cost and stability (I guess). Have you ever made solid wood ones? If so, to what thickness did you plane the wood? Did you laminate boards to get a 12" or more width? Use plywood where possible so you don't have to deal with expansion and contraction issues.

6. If you use crown molding in the kitchen, do you make it yourself out of the same wood used in the frame and panel doors?I make my own on my router table and just did the crown for my kitchen. I don't like wasting my time trying to find something I like in the wood I'm working in at the time plus If I ever need a replacement piece I don't have to worry about it being discontinued.

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?Depends on what your looking for but woodworkers hardware has decent prices and I've used Grizzly lately as they even beat woodworkers hardware prices for the same merchandise.

My answers are in red.:wave:

I used 3/4" for the sides and shelves, and 1/2" for the backs on mine. 1/2" for sides and 1/4" for backs can be used also. I just opted for, well as Larry would say, STOUT so I am not in doubt:)

I've used 3/4 all around before, but more recently I used 3/4 sides/bottoms, 1/4" back, and had a couple 3/4" by 4" wide strips on the back behind the 1/4" and in the front/back on top. It's easier to get more yield out of a sheet of plywood that way. They're not so heavy when you have to handle them but they're quite sturdy.

My shop uses 1/2" plywood all the way around the box. Sides, bottoms, and backs. All joints of the box are dadoed or rabbeted, except where the top and the bottom shelf meets the faceframe and at that point they are assembled with pocket hole screws.

yes very common

if u can get prefinished ply that would help alot, otherwise finishing before assembly would be much easier you just have to be very careful handling them during assembly

if you use the euro hidden hinges, its really easy to hang first, remove doors, then just clip back on after. if you want to do flush doors like alan, prefitting is a must before finishing

seen it yes, wouldnt do it because of movement

plywood all the way, solid would cost too much and have tendency to warp, you can panel the sides to match the doors

made my own but had a molding machine. most hardwood suppliers will have some selection of crown in several woods

7. What are good sources of hardware that have a big selection aside from Lee Valley?louis and company...dont have to be a pro, great prices...not sure about online ordering though

hope that helps

Does anyone ever use a different wood plywood than the wood trim, because, for example, plywood isn't available in the wood you want to use? If so, how did you choose the mix?

It's not uncommon. I think it comes down to personal choice. Around here most cabinets I've seen are oak or maple and use the same wood inside and out. I only discovered UV coated ply a few months ago but I'm a big fan of that. Hd/lowes usually have cabinets with varied inside wood/melamine and outside face frame coloring if you want to see some different looks.

I did a cabinet job a few months ago with a maple frame and a cherry panel. It looked real nice. I like the two different woods, just depends on the combo and how busy the style is

I have seen some with two different woods. They looked real nice. It added a nice contrast.

I have been watching this thread close since we are going to build our cabinets. Thanks for the thread. :headbang: I don't have to type all the questions and you are asking more questions that I would think of. I wouldn't think of some of these till I was in the shop making firewood out of good lumber.

I have seen some with two different woods. They looked real nice. It added a nice contrast.

I have been watching this thread close since we are going to build our cabinets. Thanks for the thread. :headbang: I don't have to type all the questions and you are asking more questions that I would think of. I wouldn't think of some of these till I was in the shop making firewood out of good lumber.

Hey, Thanks Mark! I'll think of some more questions after I have my coffee :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The reason I ask about the 2 woods is because my lumber go-to guy has some nice wood at a reasonable price that doesn't exist in plywood or is over-the-top expensive...so I was wondering if I could use a different wood plywood. I guess I'll have to try and see what it looks like....

Also, as I'm calculating, the backs to the cabinets are a lot of square footage, so I was wondering if I could substitute something cheaper. No one is going to see the back of the cabinet, and who's going to look behind my dishes and glasses? :thumb:

if he has a great deal on the hardwood why not just do a paneled side to match the door. you basically build a door to fit the side panels, but dont run and edge on it and dont hinge it. another thing to think about is only using the matching wood plywood (if available) on the ends of cabinets that will be seen. for instance if you have a cabinet that goes against a wall there is no need for those sides to be a matching hardwood

1/4" birch ply will do for the backs, or a maple, it doesnt have to match the exterior wood unless you just really want it to or if the doors have glass and you can see inside the cabinet. at that point you would want all the wood including shelves to match.

the two woods idea is totally a preference. i personally find it a little busy in a kitchen, but really like it on pieces of furniture.

hope that helps

chris