is this a good system?

Frank Fusco

My flatwork projects are few, very simple, small and, usually not very well done. I would love to make some boxes and small chests but haven't developed the knowledge to try any. This system:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/fast_joint_system.html
is in the latest MLCS catalog and looks to be designed just for guys like me. I have the funds squirreled away from some recent sales to pay for it. I would get the $169 starter set. This could be used on my Grizzly mini-shaper ( real workhorse despite it's toy sized appearance) or, possibly on the big new/old shaper I recently acquired.
From those in the know, would this be a wise way to go?

I've always found the joints to be interesting. I like some of them better than others. Seems like it might be kind of slow, but might be nice for small projects...

I've got the system, and I really like it. I haven't used it a lot but it works well and as quick or quicker than setting up a dovetail jig. I made a rack to hold some T-Handle allen wrenches and it makes tight joints.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Allen.01.jpg
    Allen.01.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 97
  • Allen.02.jpg
    Allen.02.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 97
Isn't this the same thing as the Woodline route-r-joint jig?

They come to all the woodshows.

I actually bought that jig, had it for a couple years, and then sold it. It worked, but it was a bit finicky to set up (like all of them), and I just didn't find I used it.