Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grandsons bed

Grandsons bed

My daughter Kathie finally decided on a style bed she wants me to build for my grandson T.C.

Looks like it will be a pretty fun project and not too difficult. It doesn't appear to allow for a box spring so I will have to adapt the side rails a bit in order to account for one. May have to adjust the height as well to figure for the thickness of the box spring and mattress.

The picture looks like it's made from pine. I'm going to use either maple or cherry. She likes the finish on the one in the picture so I'll probably have to darken whichever wood I choose. Also, not sure if I like the tenons protruding from the posts but they would be fun to make and certainly add some strength to the bed. Anyway, she can decide that.

I should be heading to my lumber guy on Friday to pick up the wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC bed (708 x 625) post.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	55694
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Yeah, that's a great looking bed. Bob, you should ask her about the box spring thing. There is some kind of "short" (or thinner) box spring that's available now, or she may elect to go without one altogether. In our bed (store bought and I hate it) adding the box spring made the bed cover so high you got a nose bleed up there, so we took it out and just use the mattress.

I always wonder, in a bed like that, will it be made to be able to knock it down to move it?
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

bob, you dont need any advice from me, Ive seen your craftmanship, but when you draw up the measurements, leave an extra 3/4 of an inch on each side of the mattress so the person making the bed doesnt smash their fingers trying to do it.
    Just a suggestion.
    forget the boxspring, save money. Put a few slats and then cover the slats with mdf, particle board or plywood. Theres a platform and it will support a mattress fine.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    Allen's right, Bob. That's one of the reason I curse my own bed--crushing my fingers daily when I make the bed.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Good idea on the extra 3/4" Allen. I'll add that in.
    I've never had anything but both a box spring and mattress. I'll ask her which she prefers. It would save her the extra cash by not having to buy the box.
    Cynthia, The rails will be removable so it will break down into 4 pieces. the headboard, foot board and 2 rails.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

looking at your picture, the bed posts will have the side bed rails in the center, so you already gain that. A twin bed is 39 inches wide, so if your headboard between posts is 39 or 39 and a 1/4, your fine.

nice Mission style bed Bob. Cherry would be a nice choice.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I'd vote for cherry too. Just let it get a suntan and you won't have to darken the wood.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    I'd vote for cherry too. Just let it get a suntan and you won't have to darken the wood.
    Probably be cherry then. I can buy rough 4/4 common KD cherry for $2.15 bf. Maple is $1.95bf.
    I'm amazed at how much it darkens over time. Especially near a sunny window.

Thanks Allen, I probably would of missed that and made it too big
    Faith, Hope & Charity

My dad made all of our bunk beds when we were kids, all had 3/4" plywood with a mattress on top. Supposedly better for your back. Beautiful bed design Bob.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING