Shooting Board Rev 1 - Done

pretty safe to say that yu like that low angle smoother from veritas huh.. what model is it glenn? and the angles you mentioned was the the iron angles right?

It is the Lee Valley Low Angle Jack. Seems like 9 out of 10 articles I read on shooting boards mentioned it and I can see why. Our member Derek Cohen has some great info on his site. I have a blank ready for a hot dog tote but ran out of time to turn it last run to dad's. I'll get it done during a belated Mom's Day visit in a week or so.

Is a shooting board used primarily for cutting end grain?

Yes primarily although I was using it on thin long grain strips in the pic.

Last edited:
Glenn,

Excuse me while I resurrect an old thread for a couple of questions.

How did you stick the UHMW to the base ply? Will glue stick to UHMW, screws thru from the bottom side?

Did you do anything special to keep the pivot end of the stop from moving around on it’s pivot bolt? Seems like it might want to work around some.

Still like that LV low angle plane?

Thanks for thinking up stuff to copy,

Tom

Glenn,Excuse me while I resurrect an old thread for a couple of questions. How did you stick the UHMW to the base ply? Will glue stick to UHMW, screws thru from the bottom side?Did you do anything special to keep the pivot end of the stop from moving around on it’s pivot bolt? Seems like it might want to work around some.Still like that LV low angle plane?Thanks for thinking up stuff to copy,Tom
This is funny because I had to go and look to see how I did it :D:
  • #6 coarse thread wood screws from underneath.
  • Pivot block stays put just fine. The pivot pin is a very tight fit and is on the right side where the blade passes by. Adjustment is from the left side and is very subtle when required. I check it before each session of use and have only had to re-adjust once since I made it. The adjustment is really for when I have the the mule ear (donkey's ear?) on.
  • Love the LV LAJ. I have 25*, 38* and 50* irons for it due to another couple of planes taking the same irons. Add a hotdog, it makes all the difference during long sessions.
I also added an adjustable "keeper" rail which I believe I shared in another thread. Just in case:

Attachments

• Shooting Board Follow Up (1).jpg
    Shooting Board Follow Up (1).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 25
  • Shooting Board Follow Up (2).jpg
    Shooting Board Follow Up (2).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Shooting Board Follow Up (3).jpg
    Shooting Board Follow Up (3).jpg
    74 KB · Views: 22
  • Shooting Board Follow Up (4).jpg
    Shooting Board Follow Up (4).jpg