New tool gloat - Ryobi flooring saw

John Pollman

I decided to pull the trigger and get myself a new toy. I started a thread not long ago about my latest "gotta have". Well now I've got it! :)

A little over a week ago I picked up a small remodel job which is converting an 11x12 office to a bedroom. Had to pull paneling off the walls, repair the drywall, paint, and install laminate flooring. A job that size didn't really warrant a new saw, but a couple days later I picked up another laminate flooring job and that one is about 450 square feet. That made it worth while and I even had a 10% off coupon for the BORG so I went shopping a little bit ago. I brought it home and assembled it which was very easy. So far it looks pretty well thought out but I'll give you a report after I've had a chance to use it, which should be Saturday. The nice thing about it is that the dust bag comes off and you can hook a 1-1/4" shop vac hose in its place. That should make dust collection pretty efficient. Here's what it looks like...

floor saw by Budster48309, on Flickr

Report to follow soon. Take care!

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to see how well it works when it's used with a shop vac. I have two of them. One larger 2-1/2" for most of my cleanup but I do have a smaller 1-1/4" that I'll use with this saw. If it works well enough, I may consider investing in an I-switch to control the vacuum when I turn the saw on and off. For now though, I'll just have to throw both switches. If I end up using it enough, I think it would be nice to have the I-switch. Rockler has them for about $36 plus shipping.

John

Having just recently done a small laminate job, I can say that would have definitely made things a lot easier...

Sweet gloat! :thumb: :thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

Two thumbs up!!

All I've got to say is that if you're going to be installing laminate floor, this tool is worth the cost! I haven't ripped with it yet but I'll do that in the morning. I've only got about three boards to rip and I'm sure this will be up to the task.

As I said, this is an 11x12 bedroom and I started installing the floor at 1:30 p.m. At 3:15 I was about 80% done with the job and could have easily finished the job in probably another hour to an hour and a half including reinstalling the base trim. I had to take my son somewhere so I decided to hang it up for the day and finish in the morning. Having this saw right there on the work site and not having to go outside to cut made all the difference in the world. I've installed laminate flooring on many different jobs and it has always taken much longer up to this point.

I don't even see the need to screw around with the vacuum. The dust collection bag works fine and I can cut right where I'm working without making a mess!

Some have questioned the 7 amp motor. I wouldn't want to rip 3/4 hardwood with it but for cutting laminate, it's got plenty of power.

I give this one very good marks so far!

John

Last edited: