Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TS Arbor Nut

TS Arbor Nut

My table saw arbor nut just plain wore out on me. I noticed the other day when I gave it the last torque it skipped a little. After doing that a couple of times it gave up the ghost and couldn't hang on any more. So while my TS is out of order I have a nut on order. But it kind of piqued my curiosity. Obviously the arbor is hardened more than the nut allowing the nut to wear out and not the arbor itself. Does anyone know the ratio of hardness between the nut and arbor? Any guesses?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Reid View Post
    Does anyone know the ratio of hardness between the nut and arbor? Any guesses?
    "Thereís a lot of work being done today that doesnít have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesnít have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Something wrong here I have both a 1940 Unisaw purchased well used by me & a 1957 Craftsman contractors saw which was purchased new by my Dad & use in a commercial cabinet shop. Both just fine after all these years.

You usually only need to just snug the arbor nut reasonably tight & not crank it down forcefully, it will tighten down further by the very virtue of being against the blade.

I'm sure you already know all this.

What brand of saw & how old is it?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Totally agree Bart, you only need to snug it down and not crank on it. However mine has worn out. I have a Delta 10" Contractor's and have used it for about 10 years.

Spitting distance north of Detroit Michigan
    No help here on the hardness rating...but...

Maybe check the threads on the arbor also... they may be worn down...they should be flat on the top of the thread, over time they can become rounded off, if so an arbor change is in order...
    just thinking out-loud

& agreed..just snug it up {or down }. The direction of the blade rotation will keep it from loosening up.
    The perception of perfection is perfectly clear to everyone else

So how the heck did ya manage that one Alex? I agree there is something else at work here than just the nut. I have used saws on the job site that are well over 10 yrs old and have never had the nut changed. And trust me those saws have been really abused by a bunch of neanderthals. I mean lots of other things get broken on the saws but that is not on the list. Maybe ya need to cut back a bit on the wheaties.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Alex how about a picture of the nut's threads and the arbor threads?

I too am a bit surprised that this would be a problem. Is there a washer the goes between the blade and the nut? Could you add some kind of spacer to the arbor between the washer and the nut? This way the threads on the nut would be engaging on a different spot on the arbor. If it tightens down OK, then I guess it is the nut, but if it is still loose then the arbor may be bad some how....... dunno how, but....?

Can you check with delta and see if there is a recall on that saw?

I seem to remember an orange maker of tools that had a similar problem a while back, turned out to be a bad batch of arbors, IIRC and I may not

I wonder as well if other saw's arbors and nuts are the same thread etc?

Curiouser and curiouser.....
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, you recall correct. Sorry can't be any help with the hardness.
    If you don't take pride in your work, life get's pretty boring.

Rule of thumb is if you donít know what tool to buy next, then you probably donít need it yet.

The new arbor nut arrived the other day. I put it on and everything is back in order. Today I took a picture of the two side-by-side. I also measured the inside diameter and found the old worn out one is 15.8mm, while the new one is 14.98mm. Old is on the left and new on the right.

Either that is a HUGE vernier caliper, or those are small arbor nuts

The one on my saw now is about 4 times as thick and a much larger size.

I'd have bought TWO and wired one to the saw somewhere so you don't have to worry about getting another one down the road....... but wait, I thought you were going to upgrade that saw...?

Good to see your got it fixed, that difference in the ID between the new and the old nut is substantial.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward