Well it looks like quite a few of us are here... good morning to you all.

Bart Leetch

View Who's Online
Most users ever online was 479, 02-21-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Bart Leetch, Alan Bienlein+, Barry Stratton, Brent Dowell+, Brian Effinger, Bruce Shiverdecker, Cynthia White+, Darren Wright, glenn bradley, Harvey Brooks, Jack Lemley, jack roest, James Edwards, James Ley, Jim Mattheiss, John Daugherty, Kerry Burton, Mack Cameron, Mark Rice, Matt McParland, Paul Douglass, Randal Stevenson, Rennie Heuer+, Ron Jones, Ryal Cox, Stephen Bellinger, Steve Chavez, Steve Southwood+, Stuart Ablett, Tim Thiebaut, Tony Maio, Warren White
Family Woodworking Statistics

Last edited:
And there.

I just finished catching up on a little work work. Been at it since 4:00am. (About 6 hours, not bad). And now, I am going to try and pry my lethargic self out of this chair and go play in the garage for a while... After I walk the dogs of course...:thumb:

After I walk the dogs of course...:thumb:

You really need to invest in self walking dogs. So much easier.

Well so far, I have been in the attic. Going to add another layer up there (house) starting to level out and just not enough. Then we had a quick but mean storm roll through. Lights were off for about 2 hours. Here it is, 1 PM and done feel like I have gotten stuff done, even with the power failure.

My Hot Button

Hi,

It is 1:40 and all I have done is work on K___'s dang desk. K is the teenager who said he would make a desk and chair for his school project. The project could be anything. The point was to write up how you planned, what and how you purchased materials, the steps you took in producing the project, etc.

As some of you have read before, K volunteered this project (and my help, tools, shop, etc.) without consulting me. He chose making a desk and chair because it would be real easy...just cut off some boards and nail them together.

Before I go any further with this rant, please understand that K is a great kid and the whole family is wonderful. Otherwise I would have said that I am too busy (which is true).

Anyway K's family is tool challenged. K did not even know what a Phillips screwdriver looked like. About 5 or 6 years ago I gave the kids some pine and redwood boards, a bunch of nails, some screws, a hammer and a flat bladed screwdriver. I showed them how to use them and told them to have fun. That was Ks entire knowledge of tools. Since then he has never pounded a nail, driven a screw, sawed a board, etc. So he had NO concept of making a chair and desk.

I told him that a lot of people try to do 80 percent of a project in the last 20 percent of the time and that it caused all sorts of problems. Anyway, when 90 percent of the time was gone and I had finally put all of the wood back into storage, etc. K comes over and wants to start on the project. We had part of May left, the project due at the beginning of June. So,OK let's hop to it. We got the lumber and sheet goods cut and sanded. Then K said, "Today is my last day. I am going to be at my mother's place. Dad will come over and help you with the rest."

Well dad does not know what a Phillips screwdriver is either. He did do a good job putting shellac sealer on the unassembled parts. I'm finishing the _______ desk to get it out of my way so I can do the things I want. Glenn is going to help me rearrange the shop and build a new wood storage area...once I get the desk out of the way.

What I really hate is the fact that we are sending the kid a terrible message, "You screw-up and dad and friends will bail you out."

End of rant.

Have a nice day. (Some time I will tell you one of my old man stories---the one about how I started, "Have a nice day.")

Enjoy,

Jim

Come to think about it---some day I will have an old man story about how I was a moderator.

For those of you who voted for me, thanks for electing me.