Saturday and back in the shop

The birds were shut up tight. I heard 3 gobbles on the roost before sun up. Then nothing the rest of the morning till.......... I sat under a cedar tree from 5:30 till 11:00 AM when I was about ready to leave to get my seeds in the ground and looked over my shoulder in the field behind me and I see a bird and wondered if I could cut him off but then I see 2 more I take a look through the bio's and yep they had beards. There were a good 350 yards out. I kit the box call once and got a gobble from one. I had them turned. It was 35 minutes later I was laying pron and waiting for the bad boy to pop his head up over the bluff. It seemed forever but he gobbled and I saw red as he worked back and forth trying to get a look at the hen that had called to him. Finilly he was 20 paces and gobbled and that was it. KA_BOOM down he went and the other two bolted. At 11:35 with 25 minutes to spare. To think I keep telling my self stay boy have patience they well come.
Respectable bird at about 23 pounds just about 10.5 " and 1" spurs. Not the biggest by far but I will not complain. After that long sit.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.JPG
    IMG_5655.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 44
Not having any experience in this, just curious, is there a lot of difference in the taste of wild and domesticated turkeys?? :huh: :dunno:

By the way nice bird! :thumb:

Nice bird Dave. A lot of folks 'round here shoot them with pointy sticks. I get mine out of the freezer case down town.:rofl: Just never could get in the hunting mood after south east Asia.:dunno:

I my humble opinion, wild turkey is way better than barn raised. The breast is always tender and juicy. Never a dry piece of meat, were as the barn raised/ store bought can be dry at times.

I know as far as wild duck goes, it's more of a lean meat, and considered to be red meat. How does wild turkey go? Never had it.

As far as the mass market turkeys, I always brine them and cook them on the weber charcoal grill and haven't had a misfire in many years... :thumb: