I took a commission....

Stuart Ablett

I really did not want to, the guy is a pain in the behind, but he has been after me for a VERY long time to make a really big salad bowl..... out of my much loved hateful Keyaki wood too :rolleyes:

big_salad_bowl_1.jpg

It should end up being about 12" in diameter, and maybe about 5" tall.

Not that big, compared to most, but for me, without going the glue up route, this is a fairly big chunk of wood to have on hand. There is one crack in it that might be a problem, but I'm soaking that crack liberally with thin CA glue and crossing my fingers......:doh:

Wish me luck!:eek:

Glad your able to keep your mind off all the junk that has to keep you up nights. I'm sure it's gonna be a great bowl!

Well... that should give you some more money to spend on toys. After all that's what comissions are for, aren't they?

Besides, with your skills and experience you can make that in an afternoon, so where's the problem?

I have faith that you'll get 'er done. :D

Bet you're wishing you'd roughed out that blanks a few years ago, huh? :p

Well I got it done, I think the customer is happy.......

big_salad_bowl_done.jpg

There it is, not much of a nice pic, but the pain in the behind customer took it without the finish even being dry :rolleyes:

big_salad_bowl_crack_outside.jpg

here is the crack I was worried about, fortuantely it did not spread or let go, so some CA glue and it adds "Character" ;)

big_salad_bowl_crack_inside.jpg

From the inside the crack is not so bad.

I finished it with mineral oil, which is good as this will be a daily user of a bowl.

The customer when it was done had a good look at it and pointed out all the flaws, cracks and anything he did not like, what a goof, just can't please some people.... :doh:

urasai_customer.jpg

Here is the happy customer..... I think he's happy..........

I just realized he did not pay me!! :eek:

Told you this guy is a pain in the behind..........

(it's me...... just in case you don't recognize me with 57lbs less than before)

What went on here in reality is that I now eat a LOT of fresh veggies, and I wanted a salad bowl to eat them from, one that I could toss the salad in and then eat it. Most of what I could find was either huge, like 16" or larger with a bunch of smaller bowls, or was plastic, no thanks :rolleyes:

Also all the wooden bowls I could find were just a bunch of scraps glued up, the workmanship was awful, some had a bondo like filler in them, tearout all over the place and just rotten finish, and they wanted most of an arm for one too. Well complaining about this sorry state of affairs, my lovely wife reminded me that I have this thing down in my Dungeon called a lathe, heck, I'd just about forgotten about it, had to remember where it was in the shop :rolleyes:

I took out the largest chunk of wood I had on the hoof and made this bowl, I'll be using it daily at the L shop to eat my lunch and supper veggies.

Only hitch is my lovely wife saw it and said "Wow, that is beautiful, I'll take two just like it....." :eek:

I guess I'll be looking up my arborist friend for some large pieces of wood....... :D

Cheers!

Well, there's just no pleasing some customers. :rolleyes: I'd say charge him double next time. Maybe he'll go find another seller to harass. :D

Or you could just challenge him to make a better one than you did. That ought to shut him up. :p

Well I got it done, I think the customer is happy.......

[...]

Only hitch is my lovely wife saw it and said "Wow, that is beautiful, I'll take two just like it....." :eek:

:congrats: Congratulations, the bowl looks great and you completely pulled the wool over my eyes at least. Great joke.

But if you think the first customer was a challenge... I bet you'll work even harder for this next one. :doh:

:congrats: Congratulations, the bowl looks great and you completely pulled the wool over my eyes at least. Great joke.

Thanks, I hope it made you smile!

Art Mulder said:
But if you think the first customer was a challenge... I bet you'll work even harder for this next one. :doh:

That may be true that I'll work harder for her, but she does not see every little mistake that I know I made :rolleyes: