Thread: I know better

I know better

It was hot and dry again today. So, I decided to run the lawn mower over areas that have a lot of leaves (I don't rake) to mulch them for easier natural composting back into what laughingly passes for a lawn.
    Well, it was also windy, lotsa dust blowing back at me. Now, my throat is raw, I'm sneezing and my eyes feel like I have 40 grit sandpaper in them. My dust mask should have been used. Nobody to blame but myself.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Although I have to mow year-round here, in the winter I can sometimes go a few weeks between mowing. A couple of months ago I mowed for the first time in about 3 or 4 weeks, and by then our back lawn was covered with leaves and pine cone leftovers the squirrels had dropped from the trees. (I'm talking carpeted in pine cone bits.) I started mowing and saw the huge cloud of organic dust and pollen that was happening, so I went ahead and put on my respirator, and I'm glad I did. The filter was thoroughly coated when I was done.

I hope you heal up soon, Frank.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I hate to think of all the dust my lungs have had to endure while I was growing up. Raking/making hay, haymow, cleaning silos, chicken coops, hope you feel better soon Frank.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I hate to think of all the dust my lungs have had to endure while I was growing up. Raking/making hay, haymow, cleaning silos, chicken coops, hope you feel better soon Frank.
    Thanks, yep a shower, breathing in and coughing up all that gunk helped a lot. Cleared my eyes a bit also.
    I have done the hay thing, understand risks we took. Not always smart.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I wish I could take back a few dumb things Ive done when I was younger.

Id start with marriage.......ooooooppppps. (she might read this)

Feel better Frank.

hope you are feeling better, Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Your chicken coops and barn cleanings remind me of a friend we lost around 20 years ago. He cleaned his barn and mentioned there were more mouse "tracks" than normal. A few days later he came down with flu like symptoms. He kept getting worse; medical treatment didn't help. Hospitalization didn't help. He died in a few weeks later. After his death the CDC determined he had hantavirous. It was carried in the waste of rodents. Kind of makes you think doesn't it? I always have hated mice and rats. Now I have a very personal reason to detest their existence.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi