Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm all atwitter

I'm all atwitter

Really. At the urging of my daughter I joined Twitter. Not sure what it really is yet. But, I'll study it and may even use it when I get my Droid.
    (Sidenote: Never in my younger life did I ever think I would be using words like: twitter, droid, google, Yahoo [actually, that word is from Gulliver's Travels) and others.)
    OK, so now I'm a Twitter-er or is it Tweeter?
    'scuze me while I go bang my head against a wall.......
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I've a twitter account. Never used it. If you need to try it out you can tweet me. I might even figure out how to tweet back.

Gosh that sounds, well, unlike me.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    I was pretty active on Twitter about a year ago....I've kind of lost interest...haven't tweeted in quite a while....after a while, it was like, "what's the point?"
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Yeah, I twittered for a while, and watched the twitter feeds, but its exhausting.

I've dropped the whole twitter thing and only do Facebook and FWW....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    I was pretty active on Twitter about a year ago....I've kind of lost interest...haven't tweeted in quite a while....after a while, it was like, "what's the point?"
    That's kinda my attitude about all these new fangled electronic communications device... do we really need to be that connected to the world??
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I thought it was interesting...I wanted to understand it...I did get several thousand followers....but after a while, it felt more like a hobby, doing it for the sake of doing it, but I wasn't really getting any tangible benefit from it, it was just "fun". I think it does have some value for news and/or marketing, but I prefer hobbies that are more productive, like building something or growing something.

I hardly ever go on FB anymore for that matter. What's the point? I have enough friends. The one thing I like about FB is on your birthday you get *a lot* of "happy birthday"s.

If I want to talk to someone I call them or email them or get on FWW!
    AKA The Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Cynthia White View Post
    I thought it was interesting...I wanted to understand it...I did get several thousand followers...
    That's quite a few followers, What the heck were you tweeting!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    That's quite a few followers, What the heck were you tweeting!
    I'm smarter than I look (or sound on here). In 6 months I had about 5000 followers. FWIW, according to some published stats, that made me the 3rd or 4th most "influential" person in British Columbia (on Twitter).
    AKA The Rookie

So far I've been able to restrain myself from setting up a Twitter account. I figure I don't have that much "up to the minute" stuff to say. Plus, I already spend more time than I should on other online venues...I don't really need to add another one.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

This is a real question, not a troll question.

What's the point of Twitter? I just don't get it. Why would anyone be interested in what's happening in my life, or in what opinions I have?

I suppose there are some legitimate uses for the technology - maybe a way for members of a development group to keep in touch, but that could be done with e-mail.

So for those of you who use twitter, why do you use it? What do you get out of reading someone else's tweets? Or if you post tweets, what kind of information do you post, and why would other people be interested in it?

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.