I'm all atwitter

Frank Fusco

Really. At the urging of my daughter I joined Twitter. Not sure what it really is yet. But, I'll study it and may even use it when I get my Droid.
(Sidenote: Never in my younger life did I ever think I would be using words like: twitter, droid, google, Yahoo [actually, that word is from Gulliver's Travels) and others.)
OK, so now I'm a Twitter-er or is it Tweeter?
'scuze me while I go bang my head against a wall....... :bonkers:

I've a twitter account. Never used it. If you need to try it out you can tweet me. I might even figure out how to tweet back.:saythat:

Gosh that sounds, well, unlike me.:rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I twittered for a while, and watched the twitter feeds, but its exhausting.

I've dropped the whole twitter thing and only do Facebook and FWW....

I thought it was interesting...I wanted to understand it...I did get several thousand followers....but after a while, it felt more like a hobby, doing it for the sake of doing it, but I wasn't really getting any tangible benefit from it, it was just "fun". I think it does have some value for news and/or marketing, but I prefer hobbies that are more productive, like building something or growing something.

I hardly ever go on FB anymore for that matter. What's the point? I have enough friends. :rofl: The one thing I like about FB is on your birthday you get *a lot* of "happy birthday"s. :rofl: :rofl:

If I want to talk to someone I call them or email them or get on FWW! :D

So far I've been able to restrain myself from setting up a Twitter account. I figure I don't have that much "up to the minute" stuff to say. Plus, I already spend more time than I should on other online venues...I don't really need to add another one.

This is a real question, not a troll question.

What's the point of Twitter? I just don't get it. Why would anyone be interested in what's happening in my life, or in what opinions I have?

I suppose there are some legitimate uses for the technology - maybe a way for members of a development group to keep in touch, but that could be done with e-mail.

So for those of you who use twitter, why do you use it? What do you get out of reading someone else's tweets? Or if you post tweets, what kind of information do you post, and why would other people be interested in it?

Mike

Mike, when I first started using Twitter, I wrote a short piece about it in my blog that explains it well. If you want to read it, it's here. Scroll down to Jan. 21.

Most people use it for marketing/networking. Some use it for news and other info. A few use it just for entertainment. I found it very entertaining. For example, I would have learned the results of the Masters Golf Tournament within seconds of the last putt. If I had a question about my computer, I could tweet about it, and get replies within seconds. In about a day I found the name of a good veterinarian in Youngstown, OH for a friend. Sometimes I laughed out loud--a lot. There's a knack for using it, and once you understand how it works.....it's interesting. I just got bored with it. There aren't enough hours in the day.

Mike, when I first started using Twitter, I wrote a short piece about it in my blog that explains it well. If you want to read it, it's here. Scroll down to Jan. 21.

Most people use it for marketing/networking. Some use it for news and other info. A few use it just for entertainment. I found it very entertaining. For example, I would have learned the results of the Masters Golf Tournament within seconds of the last putt. If I had a question about my computer, I could tweet about it, and get replies within seconds. In about a day I found the name of a good veterinarian in Youngstown, OH for a friend. Sometimes I laughed out loud--a lot. There's a knack for using it, and once you understand how it works.....it's interesting. I just got bored with it. There aren't enough hours in the day.
I can understand getting the responses about the vet, but before that you have to be tweeting something that would cause people to subscribe to your tweets. Why would someone who doesn't know me (or you) subscribe to my (or your) tweets? What do people say in tweets that other people find interesting? I can't imagine wanting to read accounts of another person's life, as they're living it, unless that person is living some amazing, interesting life.

Mike

I can understand getting the responses about the vet, but before that you have to be tweeting something that would cause people to subscribe to your tweets. Why would someone who doesn't know me (or you) subscribe to my (or your) tweets? What do people say in tweets that other people find interesting? I can't imagine wanting to read accounts of another person's life, as they're living it, unless that person is living some amazing, interesting life.

Mike

Mike, people aren't just tweeting about what they're doing in their life at that moment, like "I'm having coffee."

They might tweet about news, like "did you hear the Prime Rate went up?" with a link to an article (I'm making this up to illustrate how it works).

"There's an eclipse tonight, starts at 7 rocky mountain time."

"Does anyone know how to do infrared photography?"

"Here's an article about mushrooms that poison dogs." (with a link to an article).

"Here's National Geographic's photo of the day." (with a link)

Most people tweet about one subject. music, art, travel, guns, gardening, etc. so you "follow" people who are talking about what you're interested in. and if you say (tweet) interesting things, others will "follow" you. It's very hard to explain to people who haven't tried it.

If you talked about wood carving, I would "follow" you. :D like, "I found this great new carving tool, the blah blah blah." (with a link).

So what's the difference between Tweeting and having a blog that people can subscribe to with RSS? Is it just that the tweets can be received on a smart phone instead of a computer?

Or should I think of tweeting as mini-blogging?

Mike

So what's the difference between Tweeting and having a blog that people can subscribe to with RSS? Is it just that the tweets can be received on a smart phone instead of a computer?

Or should I think of tweeting as mini-blogging?

Mike

yes, in fact, some people call it "micro-blogging". If you subscribe to a feed, you're getting one blog. If you are on Twitter, you are getting little bits of hundreds or thousands of blogs. You can filter it BTW, kind of like changing channels on a TV. Organize the feeds you follow into subject areas for example, and just read stuff on DIY for a while, then photography for a while, then news....etc. etc. etc.

BTW, Vaughn would be great on Twitter. He'd amass a lot of followers very quickly.