Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found a bigger money pit than spinning.

I found a bigger money pit than spinning.

Not wood working or even related.
    This afternoons project was to get these doors ready for paint.

I hate it when someone has been into something they shouldn't have. The bars on the left in the third pic are as they should be. The ones on the right well not so much.

In the first and fourth pics. You can see where they cut the door for some unknown reason.

In the fifth pic you can see the window arm all bent out of shape.

The sixth pic shows how the door is supposed to look. I still can't figure out why or how they managed to do so much damage to the inside of that door. All the parts readily come out through the opening provided by Jeep. Providing you take them out in the right order.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tn_jeep doors 001.JPG   tn_jeep doors 002.JPG   tn_jeep doors 005.JPG   tn_jeep doors 006.JPG   tn_jeep doors 007.JPG  

tn_jeep doors 008.JPG   tn_jeep doors 004.JPG  
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 04-10-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Got yerself a jeep hidden somewhere?
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Got yerself a jeep hidden somewhere?
    Yup it's hiding in the tranny shop this week.
    It's been hiding at the body shop for the last 3 months. They finished up last week and I sent it over to get the clutch fixed. We will see if I'm getting the slave and master bled and all the seals done. Or getting the whole shooting match rebuilt and a new clutch.
    Stupid hurts.

Who needs doors?? It's a JEEP!!!
    Bet someone broke the glass at one time and that is what they did to get the guts out or the new guts in.
    Mine has a factory V8, yours?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Looks like fun though. I've not done that kind of work since I helped my cousin work on his 56 Chevy in 62 or 63.
    ________

Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Who needs doors?? It's a JEEP!!!
    Bet someone broke the glass at one time and that is what they did to get the guts out or the new guts in.
    Mine has a factory V8, yours?
    4.0 L 6 cylinder 5 speed.
    Last fall it got new stock leaf springs, 5 new wheels and tires, new front and rear tube bumpers, breaks all the way around, and front wheel bearings.

This winter it went into the body shop to have the windshield frame and cowl painted. Also the hard top painted inside and out.

This spring it has got new fender flares. (New tires are wider than the stock tires and to get a inspection sticker in NH the tires can't stick out past the fenders.)
    New seats front and rear and new rock sliders. Oh and the fender flares don't cover the holes along the rockers where the old ones came off. So it has a set of rocker covers sitting in her shop waiting for it to get home so I can put them on.
    Stupid hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    I would bet you are right. and the fool didn't know you have to take the vent window out to replace the door window.
    Stupid hurts.

All mine has going for it is the locker axles and V8 engine. Body is beyond shot, frame is shot. Parked in back right now as the last time I used it was to herd a heifer back into a pasture she got out of. Went sliding past her to cut her off, jammed in the clutch locked up the brakes and BAM! I went on past her!(missed the fence). Bracket broke off of the frame!
    They are fun. Keeping it for a future project someday. Look forward to seeing your project when it gets home.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Hi,

I'm a real Jeep expert (an ex pert is someone who used to be a pert). I just remember how much fun it was to get them airborne at Camp Pendleton during WWII. I had to run heavy chains through all of the wheels and lock them with multiple locks every night or they would be missing the next morning.

Guys, maybe BAMS too, would come around at night and swipe a Jeep for joy riding. If they could not find a Jeep they would steal parts from several Jeeps until they had enough to have a mongeral Jeep. Then they would go joy riding.

This was almost an every night event. We even had to pull the rotors and other removable parts because they might need those to make their mongeral run.

Enjoy,

Jim

What good is a spelling checker that tells me I cannot spell mongeral unless it does tell me how to spell it?
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    What good is a spelling checker that tells me I cannot spell mongeral unless it does tell me how to spell it?
    Heh heh. I think you're looking for "mongrel".

Fun memories!