I found a bigger money pit than spinning.

Chuck Thoits

Not wood working or even related.
This afternoons project was to get these doors ready for paint.

I hate it when someone has been into something they shouldn't have. The bars on the left in the third pic are as they should be. The ones on the right well not so much.

In the first and fourth pics. You can see where they cut the door for some unknown reason.

In the fifth pic you can see the window arm all bent out of shape.

The sixth pic shows how the door is supposed to look. I still can't figure out why or how they managed to do so much damage to the inside of that door. All the parts readily come out through the opening provided by Jeep. Providing you take them out in the right order.

Attachments

• tn_jeep doors 001.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 001.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 97
  • tn_jeep doors 004.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 004.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 79
  • tn_jeep doors 008.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 008.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 82
  • tn_jeep doors 007.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 007.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 85
  • tn_jeep doors 006.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 006.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 85
  • tn_jeep doors 005.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 005.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 81
  • tn_jeep doors 002.JPG
    tn_jeep doors 002.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Got yerself a jeep hidden somewhere? :thumb: :rofl: :thumb:

Yup it's hiding in the tranny shop this week.:thumb:
It's been hiding at the body shop for the last 3 months. They finished up last week and I sent it over to get the clutch fixed. We will see if I'm getting the slave and master bled and all the seals done. Or getting the whole shooting match rebuilt and a new clutch.:doh:

Who needs doors?? It's a JEEP!!!
Bet someone broke the glass at one time and that is what they did to get the guts out or the new guts in. :huh:
Mine has a factory V8, yours?

4.0 L 6 cylinder 5 speed.
Last fall it got new stock leaf springs, 5 new wheels and tires, new front and rear tube bumpers, breaks all the way around, and front wheel bearings.

This winter it went into the body shop to have the windshield frame and cowl painted. Also the hard top painted inside and out.

This spring it has got new fender flares. (New tires are wider than the stock tires and to get a inspection sticker in NH the tires can't stick out past the fenders.)
New seats front and rear and new rock sliders. Oh and the fender flares don't cover the holes along the rockers where the old ones came off. So it has a set of rocker covers sitting in her shop waiting for it to get home so I can put them on.

All mine has going for it is the locker axles and V8 engine. Body is beyond shot, frame is shot. Parked in back right now as the last time I used it was to herd a heifer back into a pasture she got out of. Went sliding past her to cut her off, jammed in the clutch locked up the brakes and BAM! :eek: I went on past her!(missed the fence). Bracket broke off of the frame!:eek: :huh: :dunno:
They are fun. Keeping it for a future project someday. Look forward to seeing your project when it gets home.

Hi,

I'm a real Jeep expert (an ex pert is someone who used to be a pert). I just remember how much fun it was to get them airborne at Camp Pendleton during WWII. I had to run heavy chains through all of the wheels and lock them with multiple locks every night or they would be missing the next morning.

Guys, maybe BAMS too, would come around at night and swipe a Jeep for joy riding. If they could not find a Jeep they would steal parts from several Jeeps until they had enough to have a mongeral Jeep. Then they would go joy riding.

This was almost an every night event. We even had to pull the rotors and other removable parts because they might need those to make their mongeral run.

Enjoy,

Jim

What good is a spelling checker that tells me I cannot spell mongeral unless it does tell me how to spell it?

I had an '87 ragtop Wrangler...fun little vehicle, and well-suited for a civil construction inspector. I decided to trade it in when I started working a job that required weekly 150 mile commutes. The ragtop got pretty noisy at highway speed. I would have loved to have the hardtop and hard doors to go with it. Mine had hard half-doors, and zippered vinyl windows. No locks on the doors, either. They must have figured it was cheaper to replace the radio than the ragtop.

We have a 05 Sport after the old one was written off in a head on with a harley. Love it and even have a brand new engine in it at 60,000 k. Long story involving a dealer that scratched the cam putting it in and long drawn out multiple trips to the dealer to figure it out and get it all fixed up.:thumb:

Back in the 70's, I had a CJ3, and an old M38A1. Stock 4 in the CJ, and a GM V6 with BW 4 speed in the M38A1. M38 had lifted suspension, bigger tires, and improved brakes, and a winch.

Both Jeeps were really fun rides. Did a lot of off-roading in the Pacific Northwest with them. I lost most of my interest in off-roading when we moved South (SoCal), and was particularly discouraged when they lengthened the chassis into the CJ7. (Can you say "high-centered?").

Wouldn't mind getting an older CJ5 to muck about with, though...

So while KaLea was out on RR. I finished up the jeep. For now:thumb::doh:
I installed the black rocker panel covers and Put the new seats in with a center console.:thumb:
I also fit the hard top doors but at last they will never see the jeep again. It was rolled at one point in it's life and the passenger side is just tweaked to much for the hard door to ever work on that side.
Anyone need a hard top and doors:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You can see the boy in the back putting on the finishing touches on the seat belts.
The last pic is a close up of the paint job on the jeep.

Attachments

• tn_jeep 001.JPG
    tn_jeep 001.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_jeep 002.JPG
    tn_jeep 002.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 37
  • tn_jeep2 001.JPG
    tn_jeep2 001.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Now that is sweet! are those 'ghost leaves' or something in the paint? That paint job must have cost a couple of buckaroonies... :thumb: :thumb: